Page County, Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Page County Virginia ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, immigration records, and military records.
|Page County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Page County, Virginia History
- 3 Page County, Virginia Places/Localities
- 4 Page County, Virginia Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 Research Guides
- 4.2 African Americans
- 4.3 Bible Records
- 4.4 Cemeteries
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church Records
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Genealogy
- 4.9 Land and Property
- 4.10 Local Histories
- 4.11 Maps
- 4.12 Military
- 4.13 Miscellaneous Records
- 4.14 Naturalization
- 4.15 Newspapers
- 4.16 Occupations
- 4.17 Private Papers
- 4.18 Probate Records
- 4.19 Taxation
- 4.20 Vital Records
- 5 Page County, Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Page County, Virginia Genealogy Websites
- 7 References
Page County is located in the Northwest portion of the Commonwealth of Virginia and was named for John Page, Governor of Virginia, 1802-1805.
Page County, Virginia Courthouse
Page County Courthouse
116 South Court Street
Luray, Virginia 22835
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, divorce,
land, probate and court records from 1831
Page County, Virginia History
The county is named after Virginia Governor John Page (1744-1808).
For animated maps illustrating Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Lost census: 1890
Page County, Virginia Places/Localities
Page County, Virginia Genealogy Resources
- Good, Rebecca H. and Rebecca A. Ebert. Finding Your People in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia: A Genealogical Guide. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1998. 4th ed. FHL Book 975 D27e 1998
- Kelley, Teresa. "Paging Through the Past at the Page Public Library, Luray, Page County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 25, No. 3 (Jun. 1999):1-2. Available at FHL; digital version at Virginia Genealogical Society website.
- Freedmen's Bureau Letters or Correspondence, 1865-1872
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
- Virginia Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007 - browse collection at FamilySearch; free.
Additional Bible records include:
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1800-1986 - Virginia, Jewish Cemetery Records Index, ca. 1800-1986 at FamilySearch — index
- Ellsberry, Elizabeth Prather, comp. Cemetery Records of Page County, Virginia, Volume I, Luray Cemetery. Chillicothe, MO, USA: Elizabeth Prather Ellsberry, c1965. Available at FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($).
For tips on accessing Page County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
1890 Union Veterans' Census
- "Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890." Prince William County Virginia, by Ronald Ray Turner. FHL Collection. Includes residents of this county.
Early Baptist churches (with years constituted):
- Mill Creek (by 1798). Minutes begin in 1798 and have been published through 1824 in the Genealogical Society of Page County, Virginia Newsletter, Vol. 9, No. 2 (Spring 1998), Vol. 9, No. 3 (Summer 1998), Vol. 9, No. 4 (Fall 1998), Vol. 10, No. 1 (Winter 1999), Vol. 10, No. 2 (Spring 1999), Vol. 10, No. 3 (Summer 1999). Membership lists (1823-1846) and deaths (1829-1850) were published in Seattle Genealogical Society Bulletin, Vol. 16, No. 4 (June 1967) and Vol. 17, No. 1 (Sep. 1967): FHL Book 979.777 B2b v. 16-17 (1966-1968).
- Braun, Johannes, Klaus Wust and Joseph H. Meyerhoeffer. Shenandoah Valley Family Data, 1799-1813: From the Memorandum Book of Pastor Johannes Braun. Edinburg, Va.: Shenandoah History Publishers, 1978. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 K2bjo.
- Wust, Klaus, translator. The Record of Hawksbill Church 1788-1850 Page County, VA. Edinburg, Virginia: Shenandoah History, 1979.
Indexes and images to Page County, Virginia Chancery Records 1831-1914 are available online through Virginia Memory: Chancery Records Index. These records, which were often concerned with inheritance disputes, contain a wealth of genealogical information.
More than a dozen genealogies have been published about Page County families. To view a list, visit Page County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies.
Land and Property
- Strickler, Harry M. A Short History of Page County Virginia. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Inc., 1952. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- Massanutten Area Atlas. Original records, Shenandoah County Archives, Woodstock, Va. Microfilmed reproduction available at FHL. [This is a bound book of hand drawn maps showing property boundaries for grant map, ca. 1748-1915. It covers parts of Shenandoah, Warren and Page counties.]
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Page County on pages 135-136.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Orange County, p. 97. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
Regiments. Service men in Page County, Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Page County, Virginia Genealogy:
- - 7th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Ashby's) (Confederate). Company D (Captain Macon Jordan).
- - 10th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company K (Page Volunteers).
- - 35th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate).
Records and histories are available, including:
- 1861-1865 - Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
World War I
- Virginia Naturalization Petitions, 1906-1929
The Virginia Newspapers Project identifies local Page County, Virginia Genealogy newspapers.
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. Available at FHL. [Includes a section on Luray silversmiths.]
Virginia, Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007
-  "Augusta County Tithables, 1777," Magazine of Virginia Genealogy, Vol. 42 Iss. 4 (Nov. 2004):307-310. Available at FHL. [Covers area of present-day eastern Rockingham and Page counties.]
-  Free Negroes and Mulattoes, within County, over 12 Years of Age, 1855, Mountain Memories. Luray VA: Spring 2004. Vol. 15 Iss. 2.
-  Free Negroes and Mulattoes, Modesitt District, with Ages, 1856, Mountain Memories. Luray VA: Spring 2004. Vol. 15 Iss. 2.
-  Free Negroes over 12, 1858, Mountain Memories. Luray VA: Winter 2001. Vol. 12 Iss. 1.
- [1858-1859] Ramey, Chester E. Page County, Virginia Land Tax Records for 1858 & 1859. Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1995. Online at FamilySearch - free.
Indexes to Page County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
- 1865-1872 - Page County Birth Index 1865-1872. Batch C868640 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1912-1913 - Virginia, Birth Certificates, 1912-1913 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1660-1959 - Virginia, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1740-1850 - Virginia Marriages 1740-1850 (Ancestry) ($).
- 1831-1906 - Page County Marriage Index 1831-1906. Batch M868640 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1900 - Virginia Marriages 1851-1900 (Ancestry) ($).
- 1864-1872 - Page County Death Index 1864-1872. Batch B868640 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1912-1987 - Virginia, Death Certificates, 1912-1987 at FamilySearch — index and images
Vital Record Substitutes
|For birth, marriage, and death record substitutes, see Bible Records, Cemeteries, Church Records, Newspapers, and Probate Records.|
Page County, Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Page County, Virginia Genealogy Websites
- Page County, Virginia VAGenWeb
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Page County, VA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Familytree101)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Page County, Virginia. Page 718 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Richard L. Armstrong, 7th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1992). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 88.
- Terrence V. Murphy, 10th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, c1989). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 55.
- John E. Divine, 35th Battalion Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1985). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 19.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/3/37/Igivirginia.pdf.