Oxborough, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Oxborough, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Swaffham|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
OXBOROUGH (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in the union of Swaffham, hundred of South Greenhoe, W. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Stoke-Ferry. 
Oxborough St John is an ancient parish in Norfolk. Within the parish lies Oxborugh Hall home to the Bedingfield family to this day. The family chapel to the church is now the church following the events of 1948.
In 1948, the tower and spire of St. Johns collapsed onto the church below, destroying the south side of the nave. This was due to the weight of the bells, coupled with high winds. The south chapel contains a rare terracotta tomb, which was undamaged in the collapse. This tomb is unique in England, and is evidence of the Roman Catholicism of the Bedingfeld family.
Oxborough, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Oxborough, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
||1538-1743, 1813-1906|| |
Norfolk 2 parishes have been "swapped" in FamilySearch's image collection the banns books and banns/marriage registers for Cockley Cley and Oxburgh are viewable but not in the correct parish. If examined closely they are identified as Oxburgh and "Cley" on record covers.
Future engineering will correct this image arrangement.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
- For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Swaffham/Swaffham.shtml
- Norfolk: Oxborough on GenUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 500-503. Date accessed:06 May 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Norfolk Parish Registers Browse', findmypast, accessed 31 July 2015.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 14 April 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.