Owsley County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Owsley County, Kentucky ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Tax Records
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
Owsley County, Kentucky Record Dates
Information for this chart was taken from various sources, often containing conflicting dates. This information should be taken as a guide and should be verified by contacting the county and/or the state government agency.
1929, 1967--Disasters destroyed most of the records.
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
The following are locations in Owsley County, Kentucky:
- KY Biographies, Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Business, Commerce, and Occupations
The following web sites have additional information on Owsley county cemeteries.
- Interment.net, Kentucky cemetery records by county.
- Cemetery Junction, Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten, The Eastern State Hospital Project
- ePodunk list of Owsley County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Lerose Cemetery, Owsley County Kentucky.
- Owsley County, Kentucky Cemeteries.
- Cemeteries of Owsley County, Kentucky.
- The Political Graveyard.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Owsley County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Kentucky Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See Kentucky Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850-1930, USGenWeb
- Census Images, USGenWeb
- KY Census Online, Links to online census records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Owsley County, Kentucky Churches.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory, ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early Kentucky Supreme Court Cases, KYGenWeb
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records available
- The KY African American Griots Project
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- Sandi Gorin's Tips, Hangings in Kentucky 1792-1900
Land and Property Records
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- The KY Land Office
- Many Land records for Owsley County have been microfilmed or abstracted. Some of those copies are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. For a listing of their holdings, see the topic details from their catalog.
Local histories are available for Owsley County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Maps of Kentucky (1776-1939)
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- Owsley County, Kentucky Atlas & Gazetteer.
- Owsley County, Kentucky Map.
- Military Resources, Revolutionary War through Civil War
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1912-1950 - Kentucky Confederate Pension Applications 1912-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry— index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U. S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865. $
- Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System.
- Owsley County Pensioners on the Roll in 1883.
World War I
World War II
- Owsley County, Kentucky World War II Casualties Army and Air Force
- World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942, Ancestry ($)
- U. S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946, Ancestry ($)
- Korean War Memorial for Soldiers from KY, KYGenWeb
Naturalization and Citizenship
- USNPL, Kentucky, Kentucky newspaper index with links
- World-Newspapers, Kentucky, Kentucky newspaper index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Owsley County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Kentucky Footsteps Archives, KYGenWeb
- Kentucky Obituary Sources, KYGenWeb
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database, Compiled by Charles Browning.
- Kentucky Obituaries, USGenWeb
- Afrigeneas, African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot, Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times, Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Christian Advocate Death Abstracts
- Kentucky Postcards, USGenWeb
Probate records are held by the Owsley County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Owsley County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1727–1990 Kentucky Probate Records 1727-1990 at FamilySearch — images
- 1774–1999 Kentucky Wills and Probate Records 1774-1999 at Ancestry ($) — index and images
- Schools. Anglin, Bee Branch, Bethelehem, Bradshaw, Cortland, Fish Creek, Highland, Indian Creek, Lerose, Leroy, Moores, Riverside, Rockhouse, Royal Oak, Walnut Grove.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records, Ancestry ($)
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Owsley County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Owsley County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records..
- 1839-1960 - Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 at FamilySearch
- 1852-1910 - Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910, Ancestry ($)
- 1852-1859 - Owsley County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C517861 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852 - Owsley County, Kentucky 1852 Vital Statistics Births
- 1854 - Owsley County, Kentucky 1854 Vital Statistics Births
- 1874 - Owsley County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517862 at FamilySearch - free
- 1876 - Owsley County, Kentucky 1876 Vital Statistics Births
- 1877 - Owsley County, Kentucky 1877 Vital Statistics Births (Partial listing).
- 1907 - Owsley County, Kentucky 1907 Vital Statistics Births
- 1908 - Owsley County, Kentucky 1908 Vital Statistics Births
- 1909 - Owsley County, Kentucky 1909 Vital Statistics Births
- 1911-1920 - Owsley County, Kentucky 1911-1920 Birth Index
- 1911-1999 - Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999, Ancestry ($)
- 1609-2016 - Kentucky, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1785-1979 - Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979 at FamilySearch
- 1797-1954 - Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1797-1865 - Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865, Ancestry ($)
- 1831-1954 - Owsley County, Kentucky Marriages 1831-1954.
- 1851-1900 - Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900, Ancestry ($)
- 1852-1859 - Owsley County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517861 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1914 - Kentucky Marriages Records, 1852-1914, Ancestry ($)
- 1853 - Owsley County, Kentucky 1853 Vital Statistics Marriage
- 1854 - Owsley County, Kentucky 1854 Vital Statistics Marriage
- 1858 - Owsley County, Kentucky 1858 Vital Statistics Marriage
- 1859 - Owsley County, Kentucky 1859 Vital Statistics Marriage (Though the film labels these marriages as 1859 they're dated 1858).
- 1876-1879 - Owsley County Marriage Index 1876-1879. Batch M517863 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876 - Owsley County, Kentucky 1876 Vital Statistics Marriage
- 1877 - Owsley County, Kentucky 1877 Vital Statistics Marriage
- 1878 - Owsley County, Kentucky 1878 Vital Statistics Marriage
- 1973-1999 - Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999, Ancestry ($)
- 1973-2000 - Searchable KY Marriage Records
- 1843-1970 - Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970 at FamilySearch
- 1852-1964 - Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1964, Ancestry ($)
- 1911-1946 - Owsley County Deaths
- 1911-1963 - Kentucky Death Records, 1911-1963 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1911-2000 - Searchable KY Death Index
- The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000, Ancestry ($)
- 1973-1993 - Kentucky Divorces 1973-1993, University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- The Owsley County History and Genealogy Society
PO Box 976
Booneville, KY 41314
- The Owsley County Historical Society
PO Box 1166
Booneville, KY 41314
- Links and addresses to Kentucky genealogical and historical societies
- Owsley County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Owsley County KYGenWeb
- Owsley County USGenWeb Archives/
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kentucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Owsley County, Kentucky Genealogy.
- Tim & Valorie's Owsley County Kentucky Archives.
- Owsley County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Owsley County KY Genealogy (Kentucky Genealogy)
- FamilySearch Catalog . Free - The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Owsley County, Kentucky page 274, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kentucky. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/7/75/Igikentuckymz.pdf.