Ottawa Ontario Family History Centre
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Ottawa Ontario Stake Family History Centre has been serving the Ottawa valley community since 1984. Visit our website for more details about our collection at www.ottawastakefhc.on.ca
- 1017 Prince of Wales Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2C 3K1
- Free parking is available, please use the back door to access the centre.
- Link to the centre's website: Ottawa Ontario Stake Family History Centre
- Tuesdays to Thursdays:9:30am to 3:30pm
- Friday:6:30pm to 9:30pm
- Saturday: Second & fourth Saturdays of the month - 9:30am to::12:30pm
- CLOSED during Christmas from December 16, 2017 to January 1st, 2018 inclusive, and on Saturdays in July and August.
- Friday:6:30pm to 9:30pm
Events in 2017:
Voices from the Dust - Ottawa's RootsTech (a FREE family history conference), on May 20, 2017 from 1pm to 5pm, at 1017 Prince of Wales Drive, Ottawa, Ontario. The theme for this is on "My Family - My Heritage."
See our website for details at www.ottawastakefhc.on.ca.
- FamilySearch Catalog: Patrons attending this family history centre may view various microfims and microfiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog. Check if there is a digital copy of the record available on FamilySearch.org website or if a copy may already be at the family history centre as part of our collection. Use the search engine on our local website to see what we have in our local collection at Ottawa Ontario Stake Family History Center .
- Civil indexes and registrations, parish records, census records, emigration records, war death records, books, CD's, periodicals, and cartographic materials. For more details about our collection please refer to our website.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Complete Pedigree Resource File collection (discs 1 to 149)
Hardware and Equipment
- Computers, printers, photocopiers, microfilm and microfiche readers and a microfilm/microfiche scanner/copier.
Self-serve reference library where temple and family history consultants can assist you in your research endeavours. Come and discover the resources of the Family History Centre Services Online Portal featuring:
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archives
- Access Newspaper Archives
- The Genealogist
- Heritage Quest Online
- Historic Map Works Library Edition
- World Vital Records
- Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War: Research Database, Letters and Diaries, Images and Photographs
We offer FREE family history classes on Wednesday mornings. Please register in advance at the family history centre for the family history classes.
Staff Research Specialties
British Isles, Portugal, Germany, Canada; Eastern Provinces, Quebec, Ontario and British Home Children.
Resources and Links in the Local Area:
Local Genealogy Blogs:
Canada's Anglo-Celtic Connections: Canada's Link
Local Societies and Archives:
British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa: Link
City of Ottawa Archives: Link
Library and Archives Canada: Link
Ontario Genealogical Society: Link
Ottawa Branch - Ontario Genealogical Society: Link
The Jewish Genealogical Society of Ottawa: Link
Ukrainian Genealogy Group - National Capital Region - Canada:Link
Société de généalogie de l'Outaouais: Link
Volunteer at the Centre
If you are interested in being a volunteer at this centre please contact the temple and family history consultants at the Ottawa Family History Centre we would like to meet you!
Volunteering for FamilySearch Indexing
Volunteer to participate in helping to save the records from our past at familysearch indexing, it can be done in the comfort of your home, one person can make a differnce! FamilySearch Indexing Link: Link
Adding details to a FHC page article.