Oregon Trunk Railroad
The Portland & Seattle Railway was incorporated in 1905 with the purpose of connecting Spokane, Seattle and Portland by railroad. In early 1908 the company name was changed to the "Spokane, Portland, & Seattle" (SP&S) after the railroad started construction of a line from Portland to Spokane along the north bank of the Columbia River.
Meanwhile in 1906 the Oregon Trunk line was being developed in Central Oregon, and was merged into the SP&S system in 1908. The Oregon Trunk originally connected with the SP&S using boats to cross the river, until 1912, when a bridge was constructed across the Columbia River, connecting the northern SP&S line with the southern Oregon Trunk line (see "The Golden Age of Postcards" below). The southern end of the bridge touches the Oregon shore downstream of Celilo Park. The northern end of this bridge is located just downstream of Wishram. [More Railroads]