Oregon, Wasco County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Oregon, Wasco County Records, 1854-1960 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Wasco, Oregon, United States|
|Flag of Oregon|
|Location of Wasco, Oregon|
|Location of Oregon|
|Record Type||County Records|
|County Clerk's Office, Rosenburg|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes digital images of records filmed at the office of the Wasco County Clerk in The Dalles, Oregon. It includes land records (1854-1960) and marriage records (1856-1920).
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Oregon, Wasco County Records, 1854-1960.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Land records generally include the following information:
- Names of interested individuals
- Date of transaction
- Monies exchanged
- Legal description of the land parcel
- Name of witnesses
- Any other pertinent information, such as: death or estate information or names of dependent children
Marriage records generally include the following information:
- Name of the groom and bride
- County of residence
- Date and place of marriage
- Names of witnesses
- Name of the Justice of the Peace
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Oregon marriages click here.
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The date of the event
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County
- Select the Record Type, Date Range and Volume which takes you to the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Oregon, Wasco County Records, 1854-1960. Some catalog records link to multiple digital image records. In this case, click on a digital image record to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images.
What Do I Do Next?
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the information to find other records such as birth, christening, census, land and death records
- Use the information to find additional family members
- Repeat this process with additional family members found, to find more generations of the family
- Church Records often were kept years before government records were required and are a good source for finding ancestors before 1900
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality in an area search
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. Try searching for these names as well
- Search the indexes and records of Oregon, United States Genealogy
- Search in the Oregon Archives and Libraries
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Oregon, Wasco County Records, 1854-1960." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. County Clerk's Office, Rosenburg.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.