Oregon, Harney County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Oregon, Harney County Records, 1870-1991
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Harney, Oregon, United States|
|Flag of Oregon|
|Location of Harney County, Oregon|
|Location of Oregon|
|Record Type||County Records|
|Harney County Courthouse, Burns, Oregon|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of images to the following records from Harney County, Oregon:
- Land and property records (1871-1935)
- Vital records (1860-1960)
- Naturalization records (1889-1974)
- Probate records (1889-1959)
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Oregon, Harney County Records, 1870-1991.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of primary individual
- Event date
- Event place
- Names of parents
- Biographical information about parents such as date and place of birth
- Names of heirs, such as spouse, children, other relatives, or friends
- Names of the executor, administrator, or guardian
- Names of witnesses
- Dates the documents were written and recorded (used to approximate event dates since a will was usually written near the time of death)
- Description and value of property or land
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
|Circuit Court Records||Cow Creek||1936-1939|
|Circuit Court Records||Crooked River||1912-1914|
|Circuit Court Records||Donner and Blitzen River||1870-1947|
|Circuit Court Records||EC Singleterry,et al vs The Harney Valley Irrigating Co.||1889|
|Circuit Court Records||Malheur River||1880-1938|
|Circuit Court Records||Mill Creek and Coffee Pot Creek||1948|
|Circuit Court Records||Pacific Live Stock Company||1914-1923|
|Circuit Court Records||Rattle Snake Creek||1938|
|Circuit Court Records||Rattlesnake, Creek, Cow Creek, Mill and Coffeepot, PratherCreek||1938-1950|
|Circuit Court Records||Record of certificates of water rights||1914-1946|
|Circuit Court Records||Record of water rights||1905-1978|
|Circuit Court Records||Reorganization of Blitzen Valley Reclamation District||1923|
|Circuit Court Records||Riddle Creek||1923-1927|
|Circuit Court Records||Rock Creek (Catlow Valley)||1931-1955|
|Circuit Court Records||Silver Creek||1913-1978|
|Circuit Court Records||Silvies River||1874-1923|
|Circuit Court Records||State vs Oliver, E||1897-1898|
|Circuit Court Records||Trout Creek, Wildhorse Creek||1916-1956|
|Circuit Court Records||Whitehorse and Willow Creek||1989|
|Circuit Court Records||Wild horse Creek||1903-1953|
|Commissioner's Court Records||County commissioner's journal||1889-1893|
|County court Records||County court journal index||1889-1914|
|County court Records||Miscellaneous files index||1889-1929|
|Land and property||Deed index-direct||1874-1950|
|Land and property||Deed index-indirect||1874-1984|
|Land and property||Deed index-revearse||1874-1898|
|Land and property||Deeds||1871-1925|
|Land and property||Deeds-Grantee||1891-1935|
|Land and property||Deeds (homesteads)||1890-1914|
|Land and property||Deeds (pre-emptions)||1889-1914|
|Land and property||United State homestead patents||1891-1921|
|Naturalization||Declarations of intention||1889-1953|
|Naturalization||Declarations in intention, petitions for naturalization||1906-1978|
|Naturalization||Orders of the court, admitting or denying the petition||1931-1976|
|Naturalization||Petitions for naturalization||1911-1963|
|Probate||Probate estate files||1887-1929|
|Probate||Probate register and fee book||1889-1956|
|Probate||Record of estates||1093-1958|
|Vital||Miscellaneous marriage records||1930|
Coverage Map[edit | edit source]
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Oregon marriages click here.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Page.
- Fill in the search boxes on the Collection Page with the information you have
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select the Record category
- Select the Record Type, Year Range, and Volume to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the probate record to identify adoptions, guardians, heirs and relatives
- For earlier years, use the probate record or will to substitute for civil birth and death records
- Search for vital records, such as birth, marriage, and death
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
- Use the information found in the record to find land and property records
- Use the information found in the record to find probate records
- Search for death or burial information in BillionGraves Index or at Find A Grave
- If applicable, search for immigration and naturalization records as well
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching a nearby locality
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names, or even initials
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Oregon.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.