Orange, New Haven County, Connecticut Genealogy
The Paugusset, an Algonquian people, once lived in the area that is now Orange. When originally settled by English colonists, Orange was simply the northern and eastern district of the now neighboring city of Milford, Connecticut; however, by 1822, the population of the area had grown to the point where residents desired to form their own separate community, thus forming the town of Orange.
The town is named after King William III, "Prince of Orange". William is remembered for succeeding James II, deposed in the Glorious Revolution of 1688. James II had been considered a despot in Connecticut; he had unsuccessfully commissioned Edmund Andros to seize Connecticut's Charter.
New Haven Probate District covers Town of Orange.