|Oklahoma Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning Oklahoma genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
The major genealogical periodicals and magazines helpful for Oklahoma research are:
- The Chronicles of Oklahoma 1921—. Published by the Oklahoma Historical Society, 2100 North Lincoln Blvd., Oklahoma City, OK 73105. Family History Library book 976.6 B2c. There is a book which indexes vols. 1-37 (1921-1959), and a book that indexes vols. 38-57 (1960-1979): FHL book 976.6 B2c Index. A valuable topical guide for this periodical is found in: Welsh, Carol. An Annotated Guide to The Chronicles of Oklahoma 1921-1994. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: Oklahoma Historical Society, 1996. Family History Library book 976.6 A33w.
- Four States Genealogist 1969-1973. Published by the Indian Nations Press, 812 Mayo Building, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74103. FHL book 973 B2fs. This pertains to the states of Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma.
- Key Finder 1980-. Published by the Northwest Oklahoma Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 834, Woodward, OK 73802. FHL book 976.6 D25k.
- Oklahoma Genealogical Society Quarterly (formerly: The Bulletin). 1961-. Published by the Oklahoma Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 12986, Oklahoma City, OK 73157-2986. FHL book 976.6 B2q.
- The Texarkana U.S.A. Quarterly 1974-. Published by the Texarkana U.S.A. Genealogical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 2323, Texarkana, Arkansas-TX 75504-2323. FHL book 976 D25t.
- The Tree Tracers 1976-. Published by the Southwest Oklahoma Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 148, Lawton, Oklahoma 73502-0148. FHL book 976.6 B2tr.
- Tulsa Annals 1966-. Published by the Tulsa Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 585, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74101-0585. FHL book 976.6 B2t.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990).) Partially indexes over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. Oklahoma periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: Oklahoma-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.Periodicals]]