Ohio World War I Marine Corp, Navy, and Out of State Service Form Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
- 1 Collection Time Period
- 2 Record History
- 3 What is in the Collection?
- 4 Collection Content
- 5 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 6 Related Websites
- 7 Related Wiki Articles
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
- 9 Citing this Collection
- 10 Examples of Source Citations for a Record in This Collection
Collection Time Period
Forms were created for those who performed military service from 1914 to 1918.
Ohio created forms for residents who served in the Marine Corps of the Navy during World War I (1914–1918) and for nonresidents who served in an Ohio unit. The forms were based on information from the military agency the person served with.
Why This Record Was Created
These forms were created primarily for historical and statistical purposes. They were also used to adjudicate claims against the state of Ohio.
The information on the military service forms comes from the records of the Marine Corps headquarters and the U.S. Department of the Navy and is reliable.
What is in the Collection?
Each record was on a preprinted form. The records are all extant and have been preserved under good conditions.
Ohio military service forms include the following genealogical information:
- Full name
- Birth date
- Age in years, sometimes in months and days
- Enlistment date and place
- Organizations, grades, military engagements and campaigns, wounds or injuries received in action, overseas service, honorable discharge or exit from service, and killed-in-action furloughs
How Do I Search the Collection?
Use these records to learn birth date and place as well as residence. With this information you could search for other records about the individual’s parents and other family members. The forms also list service, medical, and sometimes death information, which could lead you to death, burial, and military service records.
| This section is incomplete.
You can help by adding content.
Related Wiki Articles
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Ohio World War I Marine Corp, Navy, and Out of State Service Forms, database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org/); from Ohio Adjutant General's Office. FHL microfilm, 91 rolls, Family History Library Salt Lake City, Utah
Examples of Source Citations for a Record in This Collection
- United States. Bureau of the Census. 12th census, 1900, digital images, From FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: September 29, 2006), Arizona Territory, Maricopa, Township 1, East Gila, Salt River Base and Meridian; sheet 9B, line 71
- Mexico, Distrito Federal, Catholic Church Records, 1886-1933, digital images, from FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: April 22, 2010), Baptism of Adolfo Fernandez Jimenez, 1 Feb. 1910, San Pedro Apóstol, Cuahimalpa, Distrito Federal, Mexico, film number 0227023