Ohio, United States Genealogy
|Ohio Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Ohio ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- This article is about the U.S. state. For other uses, see Ohio (disambiguation).
Ohio is a state in the Midwestern portion of the United States. Ohio became a state on 1 March 1803, having been created from the Northwest Territory, and it's capital is Columbus. It is divided into 88 counties. 
Getting Started with Ohio Research
Links to articles on getting started with Ohio research.
Ohio Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Ohio research.
Ohio Clickable Map
Many genealogy records are kept on the county level in the United States. Click on a county below to go to the county Wiki article listing more information.
Ohio Migration Routes
Braddock's Road · Cumberland Road · Forbes Road · Erie Canal · Great Trail · Kanawha Trail · Lake Erie · Lake Shore Path (or Lake Trail) · Maysville Turnpike · Miami and Erie Canal · Miami Trail · National Road · Ohio and Erie Canal · Ohio River · Pennsylvania and Erie Canal · Scioto Trail · Tennessee, Ohio and Great Lakes Trail · Vincennes-Indianapolis-Detroit Road · Wabash and Erie Canal · Zane's Trace
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in resourcing your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records - databases and record images on FamilySearch
- Family History Center locator map
- 2001-2014 - Currentobituary.com index, 2001-2014 at FamilySearch — index
- Cyndi's List - Ohio genealogy sites on the internet
- Ohio Genealogy Trails - collection of transcribed data for the state of Ohio
- Access Genealogy – Genealogy guide for Ohio
- Ancestorhunt.com - resources for Ohio genealogy research
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - Guide to Ancestry and Family Tree Records for Ohio
- Ohio Research Outline – Original Family History Library research outline; contains many out of date links
- Ohio County Creation Dates and Parent Counties lists each county, date formed, and from which county formed.
- Ohio Memory primary sources from all parts of the state in an online scrapbook. Includes 200,000 pages of digital newspapers.
- The United States Vessel Enrollments for the Great Lakes region. The transcriptions are from a project that involved an attempt to transcribe all steamboat enrollments for Great Lakes ports prior to 1861, all vessels for Detroit and Cleveland up to 1861, and Buffalo up to 1841 are included in the file. The set includes 5741 enrolments in which just under 2000 individual vessels are named, over 6000 people were identified.
- County by County in Ohio Genealogy
- Every Name Index
- Wikipedia contributors, "List of US States by Date of Admission," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_date_of_admission_to_the_Union, accessed 31 oct 2016.