|Ohio Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
= Online Resources
- Ohio City Directories, by county
- Ohio and Florida, City Directories, 1902-1960, ($) index
- Ohio City Directories, 1819-1850
- Ohio Name Index Project, Ohio Female Name Index to 1850
- Ohio Name Index
- Ohio Online Historical Directories - listed by county
- Church Directories (Ancestry) ($)
- Cleveland, Ohio Congregational Churches Directory, 1895 (Ancestry) ($)
- Cincinnati City Directories 1861-1923 (4 yrs. missing) (Fold3) ($)
- Cleveland City Directories 1861, 1864-1923 (5 yrs. missing) (Fold3) ($)
- Toledo City Directories 1864-1923 (3 yrs. missing) (Fold3) ($)
- Various directories World Vital Records
- Ancestry.com ($) has Ohio directories available online in its U.S. City Directories collection.
Resources for Ohio Directories
City and county directories can be used with census records and as a substitute for census records and other genealogical sources. They can be used for locating a person, particularly in large cities, and for studying a person’s migration pattern. They may give clues to when a person died or moved from the area. City and rural directories are alphabetically arranged by surname and are often published annually.
The publication of directories began in the early nineteenth century and continues to the present time. Directories list heads of households and employed household members, occupations, and addresses. Wives' names are given in some directories, and sometimes their date of death may be given. Local information such as names and locations of churches, schools, business firms, and street guides may also be included in the directories.
Libraries and Archives
The Family History Library
- Johnson, P. R., Classified business and professional directory of prominent towns and cities of Ohio and eastern Indiana (Tucson, Arizona:W.C. Cox Co., 1974) FHL film 1000888
- Huguenot Society of Ohio-Directory 1953 FHL book 977.1 A1
- Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors of Ohio (Columbus, Ohio), Directory of licensed embalmers, licensed funeral directors and funeral firms of the state of Ohio (Columbus, Ohio: Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors, 1960) At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL book 977.1 U24
- The Ohio Directories Records page contains information pertaining to directories published from 1880 to 1960.
To access Directories available through the FamilySearch Catalog, use a Place-name Search for:
- OHIO, [COUNTY] - DIRECTORIES for county directories
- OHIO, [COUNTY], [CITY] - DIRECTORIES for city directories.
- Genealogy.org lists several different types of directories.
- Morgan lists of directories.
- Old Directory Search
- US City Directories This web site identifies printed, microfilmed, and online directories and their repositories.
- NARA National Archives
- Rootsweb has a great article about how to use city directories and newspapers.
Fold3.com, WorldVitalRecords.com, and a variety of other premium content research sites are provided as a free service in 1,400 family history centers through-out North America. Ancestry.com is only available at specially designated regional Family History Centers, but may be available at your local public library. Contact your local family history center to see what resources are available in your area.