Ohio, WWI Index and Return Cards - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Ohio, WWI Index and Return Cards, 1916-1920
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Ohio|
|Location of Ohio|
|Record Type||Military Service Cards and 83rd Division Return Cards.|
|Ohio Genealogical Society|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This publication consists of two card collections. An index to military service and "World War I 83rd Division Personal Information Cards Index" of men assigned to the division serving in France. The collections were acquired from the Ohio Genealogical Society. The 83rd Division was raised in Ohio and Western Pennsylvania largely with inductees from the Selective Service. It trained at Camp Sherman, Oho.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- Some other identifying information such as birth date or residence
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
- Search for land and probate records
- Use the names, ages and residence to locate church records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the names. Pay special attention to how the name should have been pronounced and try variations on the pronunciation
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. Try searching for these names as well
- Immigrant first names may be in their native language
- Look at the 1910 census to identify names and ages of additional family members
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Ohio.
- US Military Basic Search Strategies
- Beginning Research in United States Military Records
- Ohio Guided Research
- Ohio Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Ohio, World War I 83rd Division Returning Soldier data cards, 1917-1920.
- Ohio, World War I military service index, 1916-1920
- Ohio. AGO. World War I - Statement of Service Cards
- World War I - service cards of the state of Ohio
- Grave registrations of soldiers buried in Ohio
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
- Ohio, World War I Statement of Service Cards, 1914-1919. The collection covers service in the Marine Corps, Navy and out of state enlistments.
- Ohio, World War I, Enrollment Cards, 1914-1918
- United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
- United States, Veterans Administration Master Index, 1917-1940
- Ohio, Grave Registrations of Soldiers, 1810-1955
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.