Ohio, Stark County Court Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Ohio,Stark County Court Records,1809-1917
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Stark, Ohio, United States|
|Flag of Ohio|
|Location of Stark, Ohio|
|Location of Ohio|
|Record Type||County Records|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
These records are from the Court of Common Pleas located at the Stark County Record's Center. The records include land Records and naturalization witnesses and depositions. This collection includes records for the years 1809 to 1917. This collection is being published as images become available.
The county began keeping records as soon as it was organized. The earlier records are generally handwritten. From the late 1800s printed forms were used. Information that was current at the time of the event was usually reliable. However, there was always a chance for misinformation. Errors may have occurred because of the informant’s lack of knowledge or because of transcription errors or other circumstances.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Ohio,Stark County Court Records,1809-1917.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Declaration of Intent and Naturalization Petitions usually include the following:
- Name of the immigrant
- Country of birth
- Date and place of arrival
- Date of Declaration of Intent or Naturalization
- Date and place of birth
- Age and race
- Last foreign residence
- Current residence
- Marital status
- Name of spouse, if married
- Maiden name of wife
- Birth date of spouse
- Residence of spouse
- Names of witnesses
- Signature of judge or court official
Land records usually contain:
- Names of persons involved in transaction
- Date of transaction
- Amount of money exchanged
- Legal description of land
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The date of the event
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County
- Select the Record Type, Date Range and Volume to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Ohio, Stark County Court Records, 1809-1917. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
Indexes and transcriptions may not include all the data found in the original records. Look at the actual image of the record, if you can, to verify the information and to find additional information.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the probate record to identify adoptions, guardians, heirs and relatives
- Use the probate record to approximate a death date, then find a death certificate
- For earlier years, use the probate record to substitute for civil birth and death records
- Search vital records for birth, marriage, and death
- Use the information found in the record to find immigration and land records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names, or even initials
- Consult the Ohio Record Finder to find other records
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Ohio, Stark County Court Records, 1809-1917." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Citing Court of Common Pleas. County Record Center, Canton.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.