Ohio, Jefferson County Court Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Ohio, Jefferson County Court Records, 1797-1947
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Jefferson County, Ohio, United States|
|Flag of Ohio|
|Location of Jefferson County, Ohio|
|Location of Ohio|
|Record Type||Court Records|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection consists of records from Jefferson County, Ohio. An index is being created in cooperation with the Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society and will be published as it becomes available.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Ohio, Jefferson County Court Records, 1797-1947.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The records may include:
- Name of primary individual
- Event date
- Event place
- Names of parents
- Biographical information about parents such as date and place of birth
- Names of heirs, such as spouse, children, other relatives, or friends
- Names of the executor, administrator, or guardian
- Names of witnesses
- Dates the documents were written and recorded (used to approximate event dates since a will was usually written near the time of death)
- Description and value of property or land
Coverage Table and Map
The coverage table shows the places and time periods covered in the records for this collection. Most of the records in the collection are from the time periods listed in the table; however, the collection may have a few records from before or after the time period.
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Ohio marriages click here.
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name or names of the primary individuals in the court record
- The approximate date the event occurred
- The place where the event occurred
- The case number
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the
- Select the Record category
- Select the Record Type, Year Range and Volume Number or Letter to view the images.
You may be able to obtain a probate case number for your ancestors by contacting the county courthouse at the following address:
Jefferson County Probate Court
301 Market Street
Steubenville, OH 43952
Address e-mail inquiries to:
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
Indexes and transcriptions may not include all the data found in the original records. Look at the actual image of the record, if you can, to verify the information and to find additional information.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the probate record to identify adoptions, guardians, heirs and relatives
- For earlier years, use the probate record to substitute for civil birth and death records
- Search for vital records such as birth, marriage, and death
- Use the information found in the record to find immigration and land records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names, or even initials
- Consult the Ohio Record Finder to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Ohio, Jefferson County Court Records, 1797-1947." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. County Courthouse, Steubenville.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.