Ohio, Diocese of Toledo, Catholic Parish Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Ohio, Diocese of Toledo, Catholic Parish Records, 1796-2004
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Toledo, Lucas, Ohio, United States|
|Flag of Ohio|
|Location of Toledo, Lucas, Ohio|
|Location of Ohio|
|Record Type||Parish Records|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The Catholic Parish entries are recorded in register books in columns or in paragraphs without columns. Records are organized by county, then by community, and finally by parish within each community. This collection includes records for the dates 1796-2004. Some records for some parishes are available for the following Ohio counties:
Some parishes, especially German speaking ones, were served by the same priest and so records appear very similar in the various parishes during the time period when they served. For example: St. Mary, Sandusky, Erie County and St. Sebastian, Bismark, Huron County shared the same priests during their early years.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Ohio, Diocese of Toledo, Catholic Parish Records, 1796-2004.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Church records may contain"
- Names of individuals
- Date and place of baptism
- Child's date of birth
- Parents' names including maiden name of mother
- Names of sponsors or witnesses
- Name of priest
- Confirmation date and place
- Date and place of marriage
- Death date and burial date
- Name of cemetery in which interred
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The date of any event
- The parish where the event occurred
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the
- Select the County
- Select the City/Town/village
- Select the Parish
- Select the Record Type and Year Range to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Ohio, Diocese of Toledo, Catholic Parish Records, 1796-2004. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor in the Catholic Parish records, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Search for vital records such as birth, marriage, and death
- Use the information found in the record to find land records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
- Search for probate and immigration records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names, or even initials
- Consult the Ohio Record Finder to find other records
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Ohio.
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection, see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Ohio, Diocese of Toledo, Catholic Parish Records, 1796-2004." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Bowling Green State University, Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.