Ohio, Crawford County Obituaries (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Ohio, Crawford County Obituaries, 1860-2004 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Crawford, Ohio, United States|
|Flag of Ohio|
|Location of Crawford County, Ohio|
|Location of Ohio|
|County Genealogical Society, Galion|
- 1 What Is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can these Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Contents
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What Is in This Collection?
The obituary file from the Crawford County Genealogical Society in Galion, Ohio, includes entries records from 1860 to 2004. The obituaries are arranged alphabetically, and include other newspaper clippings.
To Browse this Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Ohio, Crawford County Obituaries, 1860-2004.|
What Can these Records Tell Me?
Information found in this collection:
- Name of deceased
- Birth date and place
- Death date and place
- Names of parents
- Name of spouse
- Names of children
- Name of cemetery
- Name and date of newspaper and obituary publication
Click on image for a larger view
How Do I Search the Collection?
You can search the index or view the images or both. To begin your search, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the individual
- The date of the event or the name of a spouse or parent
Search the Index
Search by name by visiting the Collection Page.
- Fill in the search boxes on the Collection Page with the information you have
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page.
Select Surname Range
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images.
- Whenever possible, look at the original record. If often has more information than the indexed record.
- Print or download a copy of the record, or extract the genealogical information needed.
- In case you need to find this record again later, copy the citation found on each record or image. Familysearch wiki has a Example Research Log that you can download and use for this purpose.
For more tips about searching online collections see the online article FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Ohio, Crawford County Obituaries, 1860-2004. Click on camera icon to see images.|
What Do I Do Next?
I Found Who I was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the information found in the record to locate the death record.
- Use the age or estimated birth date to determine an approximate birth date to find other church and vital records such as birth, baptism, and marriage records.
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records.
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in censuses.
- Repeat this process with additional family members found, to find more generations of the family.
- Church Records were kept years before counties began keeping records. They are a good source for finding ancestors before 1900.
I Can’t Find Who I’m Looking For, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives.
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county.
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name.
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. Try searching for these names as well.
- Check the info box above for additional FamilySearch websites and related websites that may assist you in finding similar records.
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Ohio, Crawford County Obituaries, 1860-2004." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 16 August 2017. Crawford County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society, Bucyrus.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.