Oakland Indian Agency (Oklahoma)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Oakland Agency was located near the Ponca Reservation in Oklahoma and was the superevising agency for Chief Joseph's Band of Nez Perce from 1879 to 1885, following the Nez Perce War. When the Nez Perce moved out, a group of Tonkawa Indians moved in and the name of the agency was changed to the Ponca, Pawnee, Otoe, and Oakland Agency. A separate Oakland Agency was reestablished about 1901 and was merged with the Ponca Agency in 1921.
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
See listing of records under Tonkawa Agency.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981, p. 174.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online