Oakdale Minnesota Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Center Contacts and Hours
Location Map: Location Map
Address: 2140 Hadley Ave N, Oakdale, MN 55119-5328
- Language: English
- Tuesday: 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Wednesday: 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Friday: 10:00am-2:00pm
- Saturday: 10:00am-2:00pm
Closed all major holidays.
Calendar and Events
Oakdale Minnesota Family History Discovery Day
- Patrons' Microfiche Collection -- a collection of fiche ordered by our patrons, assorted titles. Contain family histories, vital records, and other types of information.
- Indefinite Film Collection -- a collection of films on a variety of subjects, to include vital records, county records, court records, etc.
- Book Collection: --
- Many of our patrons have Scandanavian Ancestry, so we have a large selection of microfiche and research aids for Norway, Sweden, and other Scandinavian countiries.
- Additionally, we also have a significant number of patrons who are of Germanic ancestry. A goodly number of research aids for research in Germany and the former areas of the German Empire are also available.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- 4 Northwest 2020 Microfilm Readers, 6 Personal Computers with Internet access, 1 Canon 300 II Microfilm Scanner with printer, 1 Lexmark X 466e Laser Jet Printer, 1 Lexmark E460dw Laser Jet Printer
- Wireless Access for Laptops, Notebooks, etc is available for patron use
Staff Research Specialties
(Call for specific shift times)
- Ole-Bjorn Tobiassan - Norway
- Tove Tobiassan - Norway
- Mike Puckett - England
- Janie Puckett - Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR)
- Matt Klee - German/Russian/Italian
- Toni Longhenry - Irish
- Sean Otto - Germany
- Kevin Miller - German/England
- Sue Pietsch - England
- Julia Schmolke - German/Norway/Research methods
- Janelle Oxborrow - Palaeography (reading old handwriting)
- Tom Bjorklund - Ancestry.com & LDS Family Tree
- Dale Lutz - Germany/Early U.S./Netherlands/Croatia
Resources in the Local Area
- Minnesota Historical Society, has Minnesota Birth Index 1900-1934, Minnesota Death Index 1904-2001, outstanding collection of Minnesota Newspapers on Microfilm and a variety of other Minnesota Resources
- Minnesota Genealogical Society, 1185 Concord Street North, South St Paul, MN 55075, an excellent Library and Research Center is available and publishes a quarterly journal The Minnesota Genealogist. The following organizations are interest groups affiliated with the MNGS:
- The Swedish Genealogical Society of Minnesota
- Romanian Genealogical Society
- Canadian Genealogical & Heritage Society of Minnesota
- Pommern Regional Group of Minneosta
- Wisconsin Area Research Centers in our service area:
- University of Wisconsin River Falls, Area Research Center, Chalmer Davee Library, 4th and Cascade Avenue, River Falls, WI 54022, University Wisconsin River Falls Research Center, has local government records and local area manuscripts for Burnett, Pierce, Polk and St Croix counties in Wisconsin
- Univerity of Wisconsin Stout, University Archives and Area Research Center, 712 South Broadway Street, Menomonie, WI 54751, University Wisconsin Stout Library Archives, has local government records for Barron, Dunn and Pepin counties in Wisconsin
- University of Wisconsin Eau Claire, Special Collections and Archives, Genealogy and Family History Resources, McIntyre Library, WI 54702, University of Wisconsin Eau Claire McIntyre Library Archives Genealogy, has local goverment records for Buffalo, Chippewa, Clark, Eau Claire, Rusk and Taylor counties in Wisconsin
- University of Wisconsin La Cross, Murphy Library, Special Collections, Area Research Center, 1725 State Street. LaCrosse, WI 54601, University of Wisconsin La Cross Murphy Library Special-Collections Area-Research-Center has local government records for Jackson, LaCrosse, Monroe, Treampealeau and Vernon counties in Wisconsin
- Minnesota Historical Society
- Minnesota Genealogical Society
- St David's Society of Minnesota
- Czechoslovakia Genealogical Society International
- Suffolk Family History Society
- Poznan Project (Poland Family History Resource)
- FamilySearch Research Wiki: What It Can Do For You!: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.
Volunteer at the Center
We are always interested in individuals who are willing to work in our FHC, please contact Tom Bjorklund at firstname.lastname@example.org.