Nottingham St James, Nottinghamshire Genealogy
Guide to Nottingham St James, Nottinghamshire ancestry, family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census, birth, marriage and death records.
|Nottingham St James, Nottinghamshire|
|Poor Law Union||Nottingham|
|Parish registers: 1858|
|Bishop's Transcripts: For records see surrounding parishes|
|Rural Deanery||Not Applicable|
|Probate Court||Search the courts of the surrounding parishes|
|Location of Archive|
|Nottinghamshire Record Office|
Nottingham, St. James, is the liberty of St. James, which is extraparochial. St. James' church or chapel, on Standard Hill, was erected in 1808. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, the Society of Friends, Huntingtonians, Sabellians, and Unitarians; a synagogue; and a Roman Catholic cathedral. This last edifice is dedicated to St. Barnabas.
NOTTINGHAM, a borough and market-town, forming a union and county of itself, locally in the wapentake of Broxtow, N. division of the county of Nottingham, of which it is the chief town.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Link to the FamilySearch Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Nottingham St James
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
All at Sea 1861 Census. This article is an Alpabetical listing of surname, given name, age, Condition, Occupation, Place of Birth, Name of Ship and Reference number, for people born in Nottinghamshire, and either on a ship in port or at sea. Article in the Nottinghamshire Family History Society Magazine, vol. 99, pages 1- 7, Family History Library Ref. 942.52 D25n,
All at Sea 1881 Census, same as the above, pages 8-15, with notes on the Ships at the end of the article.
Nottingham City Rentals
Transcribed by Walker, V.W. The Nottingham Chamberlains' Accounts, 1772-73. A list of the Chamberlains Rentalls from 1772-1773, with persons name, and the property and the rental amount. There is also a list of folk who owned Butcher's shops in the Shambles. This list is available at the Nottinghamshire Archives, and also in the Nottinghamshire Family History Society Magazine, vol.123, pages1-27. Family History Library Ref. 942.52 D25n
Transcribed by Simpson, Elizabeth. Schedule of Tenants 1804, Nottingham. A list of tenants, given name, surname, premises occupied by them, and the rent to be paid. Article in the Nottinghamshire Family History Society Magazine, vol. 53, pages 55-59, FHL Ref 942.52 D25n
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Nottinghamshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Register of Boys Awaiting Admission to the Free School (Now the Nottingham High School 1806-1834. Formerly at Stoney St. now at Waverley St. A register of the boys waiting admission to the free school, alphabetical listing within each year from 1806-1834, giving the pupil's name, the father's name, and sometimes the address. Article in the Nottinghamshire Family History Society Magazine, vol. 88, pages 6-15, FHL Ref 942.52 D25n
- Plan of the Town of Nottingham, dated 1844. The map includes all the new Streets and every recent alteration, dated 1844. Map to be found inside the back cover of the Nottinghamshire Family History Society Magazine vol. 83, part 7, Family History Library 942.52 D25n
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848). Adapted, date accessed: 08 December 2013.