Norway Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
|Norway Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Encyclopedias may provide information on all branches of knowledge or may treat a specific topic comprehensively, usually in articles arranged alphabetically. They often contain information of great interest for genealogical research, including articles about places, prominent people, minorities, and religions. They can give information about diverse topics such as record-keeping practices, laws, customs, commerce, costumes, occupations, and archaic terminology.
The Family History Library has general knowledge encyclopedias in the Norwegian language and Norwegian-English and English-Norwegian dictionaries. The encyclopedias and dictionaries are listed in the FamilySearch Catalog under:
- NORWAY - ENCYCLOPEDIAS AND DICTIONARIES
Also see the "Language" section.
There is extensive information on Norway in Wikipedia the online Wiki Encyclopedia.
- Online English to Norwegian Dictionary: http://www.freedict.com/onldict/nor.html
- Store norske leksikon: http://snl.no/
- Ordbog til det ældre daske sprog (1300-1700): http://www.hist.uib.no/kalkar/
- Bokmålsordboka: http://www.nob-ordbok.uio.no/perl/ordbok.cgi?OPP=&bokmaal=+&ordbok=bokmaal