Norway Baptisms - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Norway Baptisms, 1634-1927
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Norway|
|Map of Norway|
|The National Archives of Norway|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This is an index to baptisms in Norway for the years 1634 to 1927. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
This index was created from baptismal records of the Norwegian Lutheran Church. The index data generally includes the child's name, baptism date and the names of the parents. If an FHL film number is given in the entry for your ancestor, search for it in the FamilySearch Catalog.
These indexed records are not presently linked to images. Images are available at the National Archives of Norway's website, Digitalarkivet.
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
The information in this collection was extracted from parish registers. The names of the child and parents are usually included. The name of the family's residence, or farm name (gårdnavne) was not indexed.
Please note that owing to privacy laws not all records in the database may be searchable. A map and table showing the number of records for each county is available at Norway Baptisms.
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
The County Number in the table below is the identification number for the counties of Norway used by Norwegian government. Records where no locality can be precisely identified are listed as "Norway (state)."
|14||Sogn og Fjordane||374,451|
|15||Møre og Romsdal||381,468|
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The place where your ancestor's birth occurred
- The approximate date of birth
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Page.
- Fill in the search boxes on the Collection Page with the information you have
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing this Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname, unless the surname is a common surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives that can be verified by records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Norway.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.