|Norway Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Norway ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.
Norway is a Scandinavian country in Northern Europe bordered by Sweden, Finland, Russia, and Denmark. From 1814 to 1905 it was part of the Swedish-Norwegian Union. Norwegian is the official language.
Getting Started with Norway Research
Links to articles on getting started with Norway research.
Norway Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Norway research.
Finding Your Ancestors' Town in Norway
- Genealogical records are organized by geographical locality. Civil registration (government birth, marriage, and death records) and church records (christenings/baptisms, marriages, and burials) were kept at the local level. To search these records, you must know the town where your ancestors lived.
- If you do not know your ancestors' town, follow the advice in the Wiki article, Norway Finding Town of Origin, to search a variety of records that might provide that information.
Norway Clickable Map
Parishes in Norway
Regions in Norway
More Norway Research Strategies
Research strategies give guidance on how to research or what records to search for first. Below are additional research strategy Wiki articles for Norway.
- Research Strategies
- "How to" Guides
- Record Finder
- Birth Record Search Strategy 1500-1813
- Birth Record Search Strategy 1814-Present
- Birth, Marriage, and Death Search Strategies 1500 - Present
- Death Record Search Strategy 1500-1813
- Death Record Search Strategy 1814-Present
- Obtaining Background Information
More Norway Research Tools
Research tools can include resources that assist in locating correct records to search and determining the correct locality to search in. Below are links and Wiki articles to research tools in Norway.
- Record Finder
- Norway: Typing Æ, Ø, and Å
- Parish heading list
- Census Register Headings
- Feast Day Calendar (Moveable)
- Feast Days (Fixed and Moveable)
- Reading Scandinavian Gothic Handwritten Records.
- Handwriting Examples
- Norwegian Currency
- Weight and Measurement in Old Norway
- Given Names List
- MyHeritage MyHeritage puts exclusive Scandinavian records online
- Norway Genealogical Resources
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
- Search page
- Exploring Probate Records in Norway
- Exploring Church Records in Norway
- Exploring Death Notices in Norway
- Norwegian Emigration: The Experience
- Finding ancestors in the Norwegian farm books online
- Norwegian Migration and Immigration
- From America to Norway - Using US and Norwegian records in tandem
- Genealogy in Norway DIS NORGE - Genealogy Society of Norway tools
- Norwegian History
- How to find Ancestors in Digitalarkivet of Norway
- Finding Gyrid Aarsand’s Place of Origin in Norway - Locating an ancestor's parish and port of emigration
- Wikipedia contributors, "Norway," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway, accessed 23 March 2016.