|Northumberland Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Alston Moor Historical Society
Website: Alston Moor Historical Society
- Alston Moor Historical Society was founded in 1973 and, due to the geographical situation of Alston Moor, it is a member of both the Northumberland Association of Local History Societies and the Cumbria Federation of Local History Societies.
Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland
Elvet Riverside room 140
83 New Elvet
Durham DH1 3 UK
Website: Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland
- Based in Durham, but with interests throughout the region, the Society aims to provide an opportunity for all those interested in archaeology and architectural history.
Coldstream & District Local History Society
Coldstream, Berwickshire, Scotland TD12 4AS UK
Telephone: 01890 882574
Website: Coldstream & District Local History Society
- The Coldstream & District Local History Society welcomes all interested in discussing and researching the history of Berwickshire and north Northumberland.
- This society was founded in 1974 to promote research into the history of the Roman Catholic Church in the north-eastern counties of England.
Northumberland & Durham Family History Society
Alnwick, Northumberland NE66 1LX
Bell View Resource Centre
33 West Street
Belford, Northumberland NE70 7QF UK
Briardale Training and Community Centre
Blyth, Northumberland NE24 5LA UK
Belmont Community Centre
Gilesgate, Durham DH1 2LL UK
Hexham, Northumberland NE46 3NP UK
The Society of Genealogists
14 Charterhouse Buildings
London EC1M 7BA UK
Room 3, Brunswick Chapel
Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear NE1 7BJ UK
Pegswood Community Hub
Morpeth, Northumberland NE61 6XG UK
North Shields, Tyne and Wear NE30 1QU UK
St. Hilda’s Visitor Centre
South Shields, Tyne and Wear NE33 1AN UK
Telephone: 0191 261 2159
Website: Northumberland & Durham Family History Society
- The Society, founded in 1975, promotes interest in family history amongst its members and the general public. We have branches in Alnwick, Belford, Blyth, Belmont (Durham), Hexham, London, Newcastle, Pegswood (Morpeth), North Shields, and South Shields.
- The Surtees Society is dedicated to the publication of manuscripts illustrative of the history of the ancient kingdom of Northumbria, principally of County Durham and Northumberland in North East England.
Wesley Historical Society - North East Methodist History Society
Telephone: 01434 608733
Website: Wesley Historical Society - North East Methodist History Society
- The aims of the Society laid down in 1893 were to promote the study of the history and literature of early Methodism, research into the Wesley's, and investigation into the beginnings and development of Methodism. The Society aims to encourage an informed interest in the life and work of John and Charles Wesley, in Methodist history in general, in chapels and their architecture, and in the broader patterns of English religious history, especially in the counties of Northumberland, Durham and Cleveland. Area: Durham, Northumberland, and The North Riding.
- Formed in 1969, the society was established to encourage interest in, and to advance the study of Northumberland, especially in the Alnwick area.
Association of Northumberland Local History Societies (ANLHS)
St Nicholas’s Church Hall
South Gosforth, Tyne and Wear NE3 1BJ UK
Website: Association of Northumberland Local History Societies (ANLHS)
- The Association was originally founded in 1966 as the Northumberland Local History Society with the remit of drawing together groups and individuals interested in the history of the historic county of Northumberland and encouraging and supporting the formation of local history societies in the county.
- To stimulate interest in history, generally and in particular to research, record & preserve anything pertaining to the history of Berwick, Tweedmouth, Spittal, and adjacent areas.
- The Border Archaeological Society has been active since 1997 with members from Northumberland and the Scottish Borders. Berwick upon Tweed is in the centre of this beautiful area and is the home of BAS.
Fawdon and Coxlodge Local History Society
St Clements Court
Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear NE3 2AZ UK
Telephone: 0191 284 3377
Website: Fawdon and Coxlodge Local History Society
- We are a group of enthusiasts who meet on a monthly basis to enjoy talks from professional lecturers on local and national history.
The Felton and Swarland Local History Society
The Coquet Room
Felton Village Hall
5 Davison Ave
Morpeth, Northumberland NE65 UK
Telephone: 01670 787308
Email #2: email@example.com
Website: The Felton and Swarland Local History Society
- The society aims to bring together those people who share an interest in local history to inform and entertain them with talks, films, and discussions, to stimulate research by developing projects, and to record what is found for the future.
Hexham Local History Society
Trinity Methodist Church Hall
Hexham, Northumberland NE46 3LS UK
Telephone: 01434 601237
Website (new): Hexham Local History Society
Website (old): Hexham Local History Society
- Hexham Local History Society was founded in 1966 and is now the largest local history society in Northumberland.
Killingworth Local History Society
St John's Church Hall
Killingworth, Tyne and Wear, NE12 6BL UK
Telephone: 0191 2661993
Website: Killingworth Local History Society
- Our aim is to research, gather and increase our archive on all facets of our history and to make the information available, free to anyone with an interest in our village, its people and its history.
North Sunderland and Seahouses History Society
St Paul's Church
157 Main St
Seahouses, Northumberland NE68 7TU UK
Website: North Sunderland and Seahouses History Society
Ponteland Local History Society
St Mary's Church Hall
Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear NE20 9PZ UK
Website: Ponteland Local History Society
- The Ponteland Local History Society was formed in 1968 to promote an interest in local history and to bring together all those interested in the history and traditions of the community.
- The History Society offers members and visitors an insight into the rich history of the area all year round.
Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne
Great North Museum: Hancock
Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland NE2 4PT UK
Telephone: 0191 231 2700
Website: Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne
- Our aim is to promote the preservation, study and enjoyment of historical and archaeological heritage in general, and of the North East of England in particular. We are the oldest provincial antiquarian society in the country, founded in 1813.
Wallsend Local History Society
St Luke's Church
10 Frank St
Wallsend, Northumberland NE28 6RN UK
Website: Wallsend Local History Society
- The aims of our Society are to bring together all those who are interested in Local History and in particular the history of Wallsend; to record information about the town and share it with others through meetings, archives, books, talks, local history trails, trips, exhibitions and the internet.