Northern Ireland Genealogy
|Northern Ireland Wiki Topics|
|Northern Ireland (post-1922)|
|Historic Ireland (pre-1922)|
|Ireland Research Resources|
Guide to Northern Ireland ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Northern Ireland is one of the four constituent parts of the United Kingdom (together with England, Scotland and Wales). Northern Ireland, is of fairly recent origin, coming out of the partition of the island of Ireland in 1921. Northern Ireland was retained as part of the UK, and the rest of Ireland, became an independent state, and was known as the Irish Free State in 1922, and after 1949, the Republic of Ireland. The official language is English.
Keep in mind these differences from the rest of Ireland:
- Although originally Catholic, over time what now constitutes Northern Ireland became predominately a Protestant country.
- The majority of records are based on English law since it became a part of the United Kingdom.
- Many of the original records have been destroyed in the various conflicts that culminated in the 1921 "troubles", but copies of some records do exist
Getting Started with Northern Ireland Research
Links to articles on getting started with Northern Ireland research.
Northern Ireland Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Northern Ireland research.
Northern Ireland Clickable Map
Genealogy records are kept on the local level in Northern Ireland.
Genealogy records are kept on the local level in Northern Ireland. Click on a place below to go to the corresponding Wiki article listing more information.
Ulster is one of the historic provinces of Ireland. It consists of nine counties, six of which are in Northern Ireland and three in the Republic of Ireland.
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
- Wikipedia contributors, "Northern Ireland," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland, accessed 25 April 2016.