|Northamptonshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
- The CBA South Midlands group, an autonomous local group under the umbrella of the national Council for British Archaeology. CBA South Midlands covers four counties – Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire and Oxfordshire. They are an educational charity working to involve people in archaeology and to promote the appreciation and care of the historic environment for the benefit of the present and future generations.
Lincoln Record Society
Robert Hardy Building
Bishop Grosseteste University College
Lincoln, Lincolnshire LN1 3DY UK
Website: Lincoln Record Society
- The Society was founded in 1910 to print records and documents relating to the ancient county and diocese of Lincoln. The ancient diocese covered not only Lincolnshire, the second largest county of England, but also the wide area which lay within the medieval diocese: the counties of Lincoln, Leicester, Northampton, Rutland, Oxford, Bedford, Buckingham, Huntingdon and northern Hertford. Since 1910 the Society has published ninety nine volumes many of which are still in print.
Milton Keynes Heritage Association
Website: Milton Keynes Heritage Association
- Milton Keynes Heritage Association formed in 1994 by a number of local heritage groups and museums, with the aim of encouraging and developing co-operation between organisations having an interest in heritage in Milton Keynes, North Buckinghamshire, and South Northamptonshire. It also has a central role in promoting heritage, by working closely with Councils and other agencies. MKHA has around 60 member organisations, with a broad range of interests and a wide geographical coverage from Buckingham in the west, Olney in the east, Towcester in the north, and Woburn Sands in the south.
Peterborough & District Family History Society
Salvation Army Citadel
1203 Bourges Blvd.
Peterborough, Northamptonshire PE1 2AU UK
Telephone: 01733 203151
Website: Peterborough & District Family History Society
- The Peterborough and District Family History Society has now been established for a third of a century. During that time we have successfully raised the profile of family history within the local area, transcribing and indexing many thousands of records and assisting hundreds of people with their research.
- Cogenhoe & Whiston Heritage Society was founded in the year 2000 - we are now in our 15th year. During that time, our mandate has not wavered - to study record and stimulate interest in the heritage of our two villages and their surrounding areas.
Deanshanger Village Heritage Society
Deanshanger Community Centre
Northamptonshire MK19 6HT UK
Telephone: 01908 564725
Website: Deanshanger Village Heritage Society
- The Deanshanger Village Heritage Society has been formed for anyone who is interested in caring for the past, present and future of the village of Deanshanger in Northamptonshire.
Northamptonshire Archaeological Society
Humfrey Rooms of Northamptonshire Natural History Society
10 Castillain Terrace
Northampton, Northamptonshire NN1 1LD UK
Website: Northamptonshire Archaeological Society (NAS)
- The Northamptonshire Archaeological Society (NAS) was formed in 1974 to promote the study and appreciation of the Archaeology and History of the county.
Northamptonshire Family History Society
Corn Market Hall
42 London Rd
Kettering, Northumberland NN15 7QA UK
Weston Favell Parish Hall
Booth Ln S
Northampton, Northumberland NN3 3NS UK
Telephone: 07758 208450
Oundle, Northumberland PE8 4JA UK
Telephone: 01832 270061
Hall of South End Infants School
Rushden, Northumberland NN10 9JU UK
Telephone: 01933 314831
Website: Northamptonshire Family History Society
- The main aims of the Society are to advance the study of genealogy and family history with special emphasis on the County of Northamptonshire; to assist members in their research by suggesting methods of obtaining information, producing journals and by arranging meetings and lectures; to transcribe and index original documents, monumental inscriptions and other material; and to collaborate with organisations and bodies who have custody of records.
Roade Local History Society
St Mary’s Church Hall
Northampton, Northamptonshire NN7 2NT UK
Telephone: 01604 864498/01604 862369
Website: Roade Local History Society
Towcester & District Local History Society
Towcester, Northamptonshire NN12 6AU UK
Telephone: 01327 351782
Website: Towcester & District Local History Society
- The aims of the Society are to find out about the history of Towcester and to publicise what has been discovered.
Upper Nene Archaeological Society
Piddington Villa Museum
Piddington, Northamptonshire NN7 2DD UK
Telephone: 01604 870312
Website: Upper Nene Archaeological Society
- The objects of the Society shall be the discovery, identification, investigation and recording of archaeological sites, and the preservation, where practicable, of items of archaeological or historical interest, and to promote the study of archaeology by any other means.
- Members of West Haddon Local History Group have been gathering information about the history of the village since the early 1980s and we’re still trying to fit pieces together, like a jigsaw, to build up pictures of life here in the past. This site will present what we have found, not only from documents, such as Census returns, parish registers, wills and property deeds, but also from material evidence, such as buildings and gravestones, and from the memories of villagers who have been kind enough, over the years, to share with us what they remembered.
Yardley Gobion Local History Group
Yardley Gobion Village Hall
Towcester, Northamptonshire NN12 7TW UK
Website: Yardley Gobion Local History Group