North Hill, Cornwall Genealogy
Guide to North Hill, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|North Hill, Cornwall|
|Poor Law Union||Launceston|
|Parish registers: 1555|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1608|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
NORTH-HILL (St. Torney), a parish, in the union of Launceston, N. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 6¾ miles SW by S from Launceston. There are places of worship for Wesleyans. 
North Hill (Cornish: Bre Gledh) St Torney is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall. Other places in the parish include: Bathpool, Coads Green, Congdon's Shop, Illand, and Trebartha.
The parish church is dedicated to St Torney whose Holy Well is situated by the River Lynher. The church has a chancel (restored in the 19th century), nave, and north and south aisles. The granite ashlar tower has three stages, is buttressed topped with battlements. The belfry contains six bells. There were also Wesleyan Methodist chapels at North Hill, Coads Green and Bathpool and Bible Christian chapels at Middlewood and Congdon's Shop.
The modern parish is part of North Hill and Lewannick United Benefice in the Diocese of Truro.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
North Hill, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|North Hill, Cornwall Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference:P 166
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks[edit | edit source]
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish.
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Websites[edit | edit source]
North Hill in GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 423-433. Date accessed: 13 March 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 15 November 2013.
- 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.