North Carolina, Wilmington and Morehead City Passenger and Crew Lists (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
North Carolina, Wilmington and Morehead City Passenger and Crew Lists, 1908-1958
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|North Carolina, United States|
|Flag of the United States of America|
|US Flag 1896-1908 (45 stars)|
|Seal of the National Archives|
|Record Type||Passenger and Crew Lists|
|Record Group||RG 85: Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service|
|Microfilm Publication||A3481. Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at Wilmington and Morehead City,North Carolina,1908-1958. 18 rolls.|
|National Archives Identifier||4051458 414|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection contains passenger and crew lists for vessels arriving at Wilmington and Moorhead City, North Carolina from 1908-1958. It corresponds with NARA publication A3481: Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at Wilmington and Morehead City, North Carolina, 1908-1958. The records are divided into five parts or series.
- Series 1: Passenger Lists, November 9, 1908-November 2, 1954
- Series 2: Crew Lists, 1909-1954 (Arranged by Vessel name from 1909 to August 1947 then by arrival date from September 1947 to November 1954)
- Series 3: Outbound Passenger Manifests, September 16, 1955-November 19, 1956
- Series 4: Passenger and Crew Lists, December 1, 1954-October 21, 1958
- Series 5: Passenger and Crew Lists Lists, June 1956-October 1958 (Morehead)
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for North Carolina, Wilmington and Morehead City Passenger and Crew Lists, 1908-1958.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
Passenger and Crew list
- Port of embarkation and departure date
- Name of ship
- Port of entry and date of arrival
- Full name of passenger
- Age, gender, marital status and occupation
- Whether able to read and write
- Passport Number
- Date and place of birth
- Description of baggage
- Nationality or race
- Last permanent address (city and country)
- Name of relative or friend at last address
- Final destination in U.S.
- Name of relative or friend you will visit in U.S.
- Position in ship's company
- When and where joined the crew
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The full name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of immigration
If you do not know this information, check the census records after 1900.
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the NARA Roll Number-Contents to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at North Carolina, Wilmington and Morehead City Passenger and Crew Lists, 1908-1958. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor on a passenger list, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
Use passenger lists to:
- Request federal immigration record
- Learn an immigrant’s place of origin
- Confirm their date of arrival
- Learn foreign and “Americanized” names
- Find records in his or her country of origin such as emigrations, port records, or ship’s manifests
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for alias names, nicknames and abbreviated names
- Consult the North Carolina Record Finder to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "North Carolina, Wilmington and Morehead City Passenger and Crew Lists, 1908-1958." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Citing NARA microfilm publication A3481. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.