Norman County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Norman County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Norman County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||November 8, 1881|
|Address|| Norman County Courthouse|
16 E 3rd Ave
Ada, MN 56510
Norman County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Norman County, Minnesota Record Dates
Clerk District Court has birth and death records from from 1881,
marriage records from 1882, some divorce and court records.
Pronate Judge has probate records. 
- 1881--Norman County was created 8 November 1881 from Polk County. County seat: Ada 
- For a brief history of how Norman County was named, click here, then select Norman County.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Immanuel Lutheran Church, Hendrum
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Hendrum, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Immanuel Lutheran Church
- Records of the Immanuel Lutheran Church, Norman County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Winchester Lutheran Church, Borup
- Records of the Winchest Lutheran Church, Borup, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Zion Lutheran Church, Norman
- Records of the Zion Lutheran Church, Norman, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Emigration and Immigration
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Norman – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Norman County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Biographies of Clay and Norman County, Minnesota 1918 Online biographical sketches of Clay and Norman county residents taken from the book A History of Clay and Norman Counties, Minnesota Vol. 2, pub. by B. F. Bowen and Co.
- Family Maps of Norman County, Minnesota Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Norman County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Norman County Historical Society
PO Box 303
Ada, MN 56510-0303
Norman County Genealogy Society
Ada, MN 56510
Red River History Museum
211 3rd St
PO Box 123
Shelly MN 56581-0123
Norman County Historical Society
409 East 1st Avenue
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Norman County, Minnesota page 366, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.