Nome Indian Agency (Alaska)
|Native American Topics|
|Bureau of Indian Affairs|
The Nome Agency is a currently operating agency of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Its supervising office is the Juneau Area Office.
History[edit | edit source]
Records[edit | edit source]
Agencies and subagencies were created as administrative offices of the Bureau of Indian Affairs and its predecessors. Their purpose was (and is) to manage Indian affairs with the tribes, to enforce policies, and to assist in maintaining the peace. The names and location of these agencies may have changed, but their purpose remained basically the same. Many of the records of genealogical value (for the tribe and tribal members) were created by and maintained by the agencies.
See also the records of the Juneau Area Office, which includes:
- Tlingit-Haida tribal enrollments, including births, marriages, and deaths, 1890s to 1976
- Village census rolls, 1913, 1934-1966
- School records from several schools
- Land allotment registers, 1928-1929
- And other administrative and financial records, 1912-1974
References[edit | edit source]
- Guide to Federal Records, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Record Group 75. Available online.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online