Newport Town, Orleans County, Vermont Genealogy
The town of Newport was chartered on October 30, 1802 by the Vermont Legislature. The town was originally named Duncansborough, after one of several Duncans named in the grant, all of whom appear to have lived in Dummerston. The petition was in 1780 and the grant a year later, but the charter was not issued for another twenty years.
The 1816 Legislature added two parcels of land to Duncansborough: Coventry Leg and part of the old town of Salem. As for the new name, it is possible that post-Revolutionary settlers from New Hampshire or Rhode Island brought Newport with them; it may also be a combination reference to the "new" town and the presence of Lake Memphremagog.  
- Newport, Vermont : 175 years since settlement, 50 years since city charter, 1793-1968, - find this book in a library.
- Frontier Crossroads, by Emily M Nelson (1977) - find this book in a library.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
Orleans Probate Division
247 Main Street
Newport, VT · 05855
Phone: (802) 334-3305
St. Mark's Church (Newport, Vermont) Records, 1875-1940, are available on microfilm at the Family History Library.
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Newport. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Orleans County, website at this link.
- Lake Road Street Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Newport Center Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Wrights Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1797 -1918, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
Newport Town Clerk
102 Vance Hill Road
P.O. Box 85
Newport Center, VT 05857
Phone: 802) 334-6442
Libraries and Historical Societies
Northeast Kingdom Genealogy - Genealogy resources for towns in the counties of Essex, Orleans and Caledonia.
- About Newport Town, Vermont - http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/newporttown.html#about
- Newport Town, Vermont - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/OrleansNewport.html