Newburgh, Penobscot County, Maine Genealogy
The original owner of this township, after the State of Massachusetts, was Henry Knox. Newburg is upon one of the four townships selected February 5, 1800, to make good the deficiency in the Muscongus or Waldo patent. March 13, 1819, it became a full-fledged town. It was the two hundred and thirty-second created by the General Court of Massachusetts in the District of Maine; one of the five (and the only one in Penobscot county) incorporated in 1819, and the fifth erected before the separation of the states of Massachusetts and the district of Maine into the now State of Maine.
Libraries and Historical Societies