Newborough, Anglesey, Wales Genealogy
History[edit | edit source]
NEWBOROUGH, a parish, and formerly a borough, in the poor-law union of Carnarvon, hundred of Menai, county of Anglesey, in North Wales, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Carnarvon. This place, which derives its present name from its having been constituted a free borough by Edward I., was at one time called Rhôs Vair, from a small church, dedicated to St. Mary, that stood at the head of the manor; or, according to Mr. Rowlands, more properly Rhôs Hîr, from its situation in an extensive marshy plain on the eastern side of the Malldraeth sands. The parish includes the small remains of that of Llanddwyn, formerly a very extensive district, situated to the west of Newborough, on the shore of St. George's Channel. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, stands on an eminence in a bleak and exposed situation. There are places of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists.
NEWBOROUGH ST. PETER, (anciently Llananno), a parish and decayed market town in the hundred of Menai, county Anglesey, 12 miles from Bangor, and 5 from Carnarvon. It is situated near the coast, and is named by the Welsh Rhos-hyr, from its site on the Moeldraeth Sands, near a long dorsal ridge, covered with heath and rare maritime plants, interesting to the botanist. This place, which is now only a poor, decayed village, was formerly a market town, and had a llys, or royal palace, of the princes of North Wales. For more information see Newborough, Anglesey at Genuki.org.uk
Records[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1846). Adapted. Date accessed: 29 Aug 2014.