Newark, New Jersey
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Newark was originally formed as a township on October 31, 1693, based on the Newark Tract, which was first purchased on July 11, 1667.
- Newark was granted a Royal Charter on April 27, 1713, and was incorporated as one of New Jersey's initial 104 townships by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798. (Wikipedia)
- During its time as a township, portions were taken to form Springfield Township (April 14, 1794), Caldwell Township (February 16, 1798, now known as Fairfield Township), Orange Township (November 27, 1806), Bloomfield Township (March 23, 1812) and Clinton Township (April 14, 1834, remainder reabsorbed by Newark on March 5, 1902).
- Newark was reincorporated as a city on April 11, 1836, replacing Newark Township, based on the results of a referendum passed on March 18, 1836.
- The previously independent Vailsburg borough was annexed by Newark on January 1, 1905.
- Newark is divided into five wards; North Ward, South Ward, West Ward, East Ward, and Central Ward. (Wikipedia)
Civil War Regiments. Service men in Newark, New Jersey served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Newark, New Jersey:
- - 1st Regiment, New York Engineers, Company C
- - 1st Regiment, New York Engineers, Company E
- - 72nd Regiment, New York Infantry, Company F