New Zealand Genealogy
|New Zealand Wiki Topics|
|New Zealand Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to New Zealand ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
New Zealand is an island country in the Pacific Ocean. Its closest neighbours are Australia, New Caledonia, Fiji, and Tonga. It is part of the British Commonwealth. The official languages are English and Māori.
Getting Started with New Zealand Research
Links to articles on getting started with New Zealand research.
New Zealand Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in New Zealand research.
Finding Your Ancestors' Town in New Zealand
- Genealogical records are organized by geographical locality. Civil registration (government birth, marriage, and death records) and church records (christenings/baptisms, marriages, and burials) were kept at the local level. To search these records, you must know the town where your ancestors lived.
- If you do not know your ancestors' town, follow the advice in the Wiki article, New Zealand Finding Town of Origin, to search a variety of records that might provide that information.
New Zealand Map
Regions in New Zealand:
- Bay of Plenty
- East Cape
- Hawkes Bay
- King Country
- Wairarapa South
More New Zealand Research Tools
Research tools can include resources that assist in locating correct records to search and determining the correct locality to search in. Below are links and Wiki articles to research tools in the New Zealand.
- Cemetery Locations Murray Lynn's New Zealand Cemetery Database
- Birth Marriages and Deaths online records
- Births, Marriages and Deaths for Whānautanga, matenga, mārenatanga
- Papers Past at https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/
- Digital New Zealand at https://digitalnz.org/
- Archives New Zealand
- New Zealand History Online
- New Zealand's Family History Fair An annual genealogy event which celebrates family, social & local history. Held every August, during Family History Month at Claudelands Events Centre, Hamilton.
- Images of New Zealand and the Pacific from the National Library of New Zealand
- Canterbury Transcriptions
- 1800 - 1966 - New Zealand, Civil Records Indexes, 1800-1966 at FamilySearch — index
- 1839 - 1973 - New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Passenger Lists, 1839-1973 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1840 - 1981 - New Zealand, Cemetery Transcriptions, 1840-1981 at FamilySearch — index
- 1943 - 1998 - New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Probate Records, 1843-1998 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1862 - 1962 - New Zealand, Auckland, Albertland Index, 1862-1962 at FamilySearch — index and images
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
- Wikipedia contributors, "New Zealand," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand, accessed 28 March 2016.