New York Biography
|New York Wiki Topics|
|New York Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- County and Town Histories with biographies
- American Biographical Library for New York ($)
- Early Settlers of New York State, Vol. I ($)
- Early Settlers of New York State, Vol. II ($)
- Who's who in New York City and State : a biographical dictionary of contemporaries, ($) index/images
- New York Genealogical & Biographical Society Member Biographies, index or Browse Images, ($)
- NORTHERN NEW YORK:Genealogical and family history of northern New York: a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation, index
- New York Genealogy county histories with biographies
- Famous families of New York; historical and biographical sketches of families which in successive generations have been identified with the development of the nation, by Margherita Arlina Hamm... Vol. 1 1902, Vol. 2
The New York State Library[edit | edit source]
The New York State Library and New York Public Library have extensive collections of published biographies. There are numerous state, regional, and county histories with biographical information, but there is no comprehensive index to these.
New York State Biographical, Genealogical, and Portrait Index
This index, compiled by Gunther Pohl, is an excellent resource. It is a card index to over 500,000 names from more than 6,000 sources:
- Biographical compendia
- Other sources.
Biographical Encyclopedias[edit | edit source]
Many state, regional, and county biographical encyclopedias are included in the Genealogy and Local History collection described in New York History.
The following are examples of excellent biographical encyclopedias for New York:
- Fitch, Charles Elliott. Encyclopedia of Biography of New York. Four Volumes. New York, New York: American Historical Society, 1916. FHL fiche 6048146-49; book 974.7 D3f One to two page sketches.
- Janet Foley, Early Settlers of New York State: Their Ancestors and Descendants, 2 vols. (Baltimore: Genealogical Pub., 1993). At Various Libraries (WorldCat). FHL Book 974.7 D25e 1993.
- Greene Nelson ed. History of the Mohawk Valley . . . 1614–1925. Four Volumes. (Chicago, Illinois: S. J. Clark Publishing, 1925.) FHL films 1036045–46; book 974.7 H2mo Volumes three and four are biographical. Half- to one-page sketches.
- Greene, Nelson. History of the Valley of the Hudson . . . 1609–1930. Five Volumes. (Chicago, Illinois: S. J. Clarke Publishing, 1931.) FHL film 1000230; book 974.7 H2g Volumes three to five are biographical with one- to two-page sketches.
- Hamm, Margherita Arlina. Famous Families of New York. Two Volumes. (New York, New York and London, England: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1902.) FHL book 974.7 D2h Digitized version available through FamilySearch Catalog entry. Also on FHL film 930243. About a dozen pages per family and usually including several generations.