New Mexico Biography
|New Mexico Wiki Topics|
|New Mexico Background|
|Local Research Resources|
- History of New Mexico : from the Spanish conquest to the present time, 1530-1890 : with portraits and biographical sketches of its prominent people
- History of New Mexico: Its Resources and People, Volume 1, e-book, Vol. 2
Biographies provide useful genealogical information such as a person’s birth date and place; names of family members, including maiden names; education; occupation; and social, political, and religious affiliation. They may also contain a physical description of the person, previous residences, and immigration information. Biographies are the product of family knowledge or previous research about early settlers and prominent citizens of a state, county, or town. Local histories may contain biographical sketches of lesser-known people.
Examples of statewide biographical encyclopedias are:
- An Illustrated History of New Mexico and Biographical Mention of Many of its Pioneers and Prominent Citizens of Today. Chicago, Illinois: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895. FHL film 1000217.
- Chavez, Fray Angelico. Origins of New Mexico Families in the Spanish Colonial Period. 1954. Reprint, Albuquerque, New Mexico: The University of Albuquerque, 1973. FHL book 978.9 D2c 1973. This pertains to the period from 1598 to 1821.
- Coan, Charles F. A History of New Mexico . . . Historical and Biographical. Three Volumes. Chicago, Illinois: The American Historical Society, 1925. FHL film 1000220. Volumes 2 and 3 are biographical.
- History of New Mexico: Its Resources and People. Two Volumes. Los Angeles, California: Pacific States Publishing Company, 1907. FHL book 978.9 H2h; Volume 1 on film 844902; Volume 2 on film 1000217 item 2.
See the United States Biographies page for information on nationwide biographical collections. See also the New Mexico "History" and "Genealogy" sections for additional sources. You may wish to explore biography, history and genealogy sections in the wiki at county levels also.
Biographies can be found on state, county and local levels. The Family History Library has many collected biographies and local or county histories with biographical sketches on residents. Additional resources for New Mexico biographies may be found in the New Mexico-Biography topic page of the FamilySearch Catalog .