New Jersey Research Tips and Strategies
|New Jersey Wiki Topics|
|New Jersey Background|
|Local Research Resources|
New Jersey Research Strategies
Below are links to different research strategy pages to help you locate your ancestors in New Jersey
- New Jersey Online Genealogy Records
- How to find New Jersey Birth Records
- How to find New Jersey Marriage Records
- How to find New Jersey Death Records
New Jersey Research Tips
These tips will help you as you research your ancestors in New Jersey.
- Birth information: The first laws requiring town clerks to register vital records were made in 1675 and 1682, but few clerks complied. In 1848 New Jersey became the second state (after Massachusetts) to require statewide registration, but the early registration was not complete. At least 100,000 births in the period before 1920 were not recorded. A helpful substitute record to find birth information is a death record. However, date and place of birth on a death record is considered secondary information, as it was not recorded at the time of the birth event. The birth information should be corroborated with other substitute records to improve accuracy.
- Finding Parents: Statewide registration of deaths began in 1848. They often will list the parents of the deceased and their birth information. Search New Jersey death records
- Look in all censuses: Always look for your ancestor in every possible census. There are clues regarding immigration, naturalization, and occupation that can lead to other records. Sometimes parents can be found living with their children later in life. Search U.S. Censuses.
New Jersey Record Finder
This Record Finder is designed to help you determine the best record to search for the type of information you are looking for. It is most helpful for post-1850 research.
|1. What you are looking for:||2. Try these records first:||3. Other useful records|
|Birth information||Birth records, Death records, Obituaries, Church records||Cemeteries, Naturalization and Citizenship, Bible records, Military records (pension)|
|Marriage information||Marriage records, Obituaries, Bible records||Church records, Probate records, Military records|
|Death information||Death Records, Cemeteries, Obituaries||Probate Records, Church Records, Bible Records|
|Parents||Birth records, Death records, Obituaries, Census, Church records||Biography, Genealogy|
|Maiden name||Marriage Records, Obituaries, Probate records||Church Records, Military Records (pension)|
|Immigration date||Emigration and Immigration, Naturalization and Citizenship, Census||Obituaries, Biography, History|
|Naturalization||Naturalization and Citizenship, Census, Court Records||Voting Registers, Biography, Periodicals|
|Physical description||Military Records, Naturalization and Citizenship (after 1906)||Biography, History|
Further New Jersey Research
For more research on New Jersey, including research at the county level, visit the New Jersey page on the Research Wiki.
Search all of the New Jersey record collections at FamilySearch.