New Jersey, Calvary United Methodist Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
New Jersey, Calvary United Methodist Church Records, 1821-2003
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|New Jersey, United States|
|Flag of New Jersey|
|Location of New Jersey|
|Record Type||Church Records|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection contains church records of the Calvary United Methodist Church (formerly known as Calvary Methodist Episcopal Church) in Keyport, New Jersey. This collection is being published as images become available.
The church began keeping records as soon as it was organized. The church kept records to know who were members, to track important events in their lives, and to protect their legal interests.
Church records are considered a primary source. They are usually reliable because they are kept by the minister, or a clerk appointed by the minister, who usually recorded an event at or very near the time it occurred.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for New Jersey, Calvary United Methodist Church Records, 1821-2003.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
Baptisms, Funeral, Marriage
- Birth and christening dates and places
- Names of parents and children, witnesses and godparents
- Names of deceased persons, their parents, spouses and children
- Birth, death and burial dates and places
- Ages of persons
- Places of residence
- Names of husbands and wives, parents and witnesses
- Birth, marriage and divorce dates and places
- Ages of husbands and wives
- Places of residence
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The ancestor’s name
- The approximate date of the event such as the christening or baptism
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Record Type, Volume, and Year Range to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at New Jersey, Calvary United Methodist Church Records, 1821-2003. Click on camera icon to see images|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor in a church record compare the information in the record to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct person. You may need to compare the information of more than one person to make this determination. Carefully evaluate each piece of information in the record. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use christening and birth records of christenings (baptisms) to identify a person’s birth date and place
- Use confirmation records to identify a person’s birth date and place and his or her age
- Use death or burial records to identify a person’s birth date and place
- Use marriage records to identify a couple and the marriage date and place
- Use church records in general to identify other family members who may have served as witnesses to an event
- Use the date of the event along with the locality to find the family in census and land records
- It is often helpful to extract the information on all children with the same parents. If the surname is unusual, you may want to compile entries for every person of the same surname and sort them into families based on the names of the parents. Continue to search the birth records to identify siblings, parents, and other relatives in the same or other generations who were born in the same county or nearby
- An infant’s christening may have happened within a few days or few weeks of the birth
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Look for variant spellings of the names
- Check the records of other congregations in the area or nearby communities
Consult the New Jersey Research Tips and Strategies and its Record Finder to search other records.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "New Jersey, Calvary United Methodist Church Records, 1821-2003." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Calvary United Methodist Church, Keyport.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.