New Hampshire Taxation
|New Hampshire Wiki Topics|
|New Hampshire Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Tax records vary in content. They may include the name and residence of the taxpayer, description of real estate or personal property, number of males over 21, and number of school children and farm animals. They are usually arranged by date and locality, and they are not normally indexed. Tax records can be used in place of missing land and census records to locate a person’s residence.
- Holbrook, Jay Mack. New Hampshire Residents, 1633–1699. Oxford, Massachusetts: Holbrook Research Institute, 1979. Family History Library book 974.2 x4h.
- Holbrook, Jay Mack. New Hampshire 1732 Census. Oxford, Massachusetts : Holbrook Research Institute, 1981. FHL book 974.2 X4hj.
- New Hampshire. Tax Books, 1727–1788. Salt Lake City: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1975. These books contain inventories of taxes assessed and received from the towns. They include inventories of the polls (usually men over 21) and estates in the province of New Hampshire, 1727–1773. Family History Library film 983686.
- Fipphen John S. 1798 Direct Tax, New Hampshire District #13 Bowie Md Heritage Books 1988 This relates to a special tax taken in the United States in 1798. District 13 consisted of the towns of Alton, Brookfield, Effingham, Middleton, New Durham, Ossipee, Tuftonboro, Wakefield, and Wolfeboro. An index is included. Family History Library book 974.2 R4f.
- New Hampshire. Secretary of State. Non-Resident Tax Lists, 1849–1874. Salt Lake City: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1975. These films list the New Hampshire taxes paid by non-residents and are arranged chronologically by year. On 9 Family History Library films beginning with 983573.
- U. S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1866. These lists were taken by the federal government and list persons who had such things of value as a piano, a carriage, a gold watch. They give the town of residence, and often the person's occupation. The lists are searchable by first name and surname at ancestry.com.