|Nevada Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- History of Nevada; with illustrations and biographical sketches of its prominent men and pioneers, e-book.
- Notable Nevadans : snap-shots of sagebrushers who are doing things , e-book
- Who's who in Nevada. Brief sketches of men who are making history in the Sagebrush state, 1907, e-book
- The history of Nevada, ed. by Sam P. Davis. vol.2, e-book
- Nevada U.S. Biographies Project
Biographies provide useful genealogical information such as a person’s birth date and place; names of family members, including maiden names; education; occupation; and social, political, and religious affiliation. They may also contain a physical description of the person, previous residences, and immigration information. Biographies are the product of family knowledge or previous research about early settlers and prominent citizens of a state, county, or town. Local histories may contain biographical sketches of lesser-known people.
Family History Library Collections
The Family History Library has few biographical records for Nevada. Some representative sources are:
- Scrugham, James G., Nevada: A Narrative of the Conquest of a Frontier Land. Three Volumes. Chicago, Illinois: The American Historical Society, 1935. FHL book 979.3 H2s Volumes 2-3; FHL film 1000194 items 3-5.
- History of Nevada: with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers. Oakland, California: Thompson & West, 1881. FHL film 1000194 item 2.
Two important indexes to biographies found in statewide and regional histories of Nevada are:
- Parker, J. Carlyle, and Janet G. Parker. Nevada Biographical and Genealogical Sketch Index. Turlock, California: Marietta Publishing, 1986. FHL book 979.3 D32p.
- Wiggins, Marvin E. Mormons and Their Neighbors: An Index of over 75,000 Biographical Sketches from 1820 to the Present, Two volumes. Provo, Utah: Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, 1984. FHL book Ref 978 D32w.
See the United States Biographies page for information on nationwide biographical collections. See also the Nevada "History" and "Genealogy" sections for additional sources. You may wish to explore biography, history and genealogy sections in the wiki at county levels also.
Biographies can be found on state, county and local levels. The Family History Library has many collected biographies and local or county histories with biographical sketches on residents. Additional resources for Nevada biographies may be found in the Nevada-Biography topic page of the FamilySearch Catalog .