Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||April 10, 1805|
|Address|| 200 Church St|
Natchitoches, LA 71457
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Schools
- 5.16 Taxation
- 5.17 Vital Records
- 5.18 Voter Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
Natchitoches Parish Courthouse
PO Box 799
Natchitoches, LA 71458-0799
Clerk Court has marriage records from 1780,
divorce, probate and court records.
1805--Natchitoches Parish was created 10 April 1805 as an original parish.
Parish seat: Natchitoches 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- Natchitoches Parish Bible Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Natchitoches Parish Biography Records (USGenWeb Archives)
The following web sites may have additional information on Natchitoches Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|Natchitoches Parish Census Data|
- Natchitoches Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page. LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Red Rock
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana ~ by city ~ Church Angel
- Natchitoches Parish Church Records (Genealogy Trails)
- Natchitoches Parish Church Records (LAGenWeb Project)
- Natchitoches Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- Index to Natchitoches Parish Land Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1800-1880 - Conveyance Index To Vendees - 1800-1880 Partial Listing (USGenWeb Archives)
Local histories are available for Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- Index to Natchitoches Parish Historical Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Natchitoches Parish Miscellaneous Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Maps of Louisiana (1805-1990)
- Family Maps of Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S. Colored Troops Military Service Records, Natchitoches Parish (Genealogy Trails)
- 1883 - Pensioners on the Roll as of January 1, 1883, Natchitoches Parish (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 2nd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Companies B, C and D.
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Infantry (Confederate), Companies D and G.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Natchitoches Parish:
- April 23, 1864 = Monett’s Ferry, also known as Cane River Crossing
- Map showing Civil War battles in Louisiana.
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Louisiana Newspaper List ~ listing by name/parish ~ USNPL
- Louisiana Newspaper ~ listing ~ Newslink
- Natchitoches Parish News Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Newspaper Gleanings, Natchitoches Parish (Genealogy Trails)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Natchitoches Parish Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Natchitoches Parish Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756-1984 - Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- Natchitoches Parish Estate Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Natchitoches Parish School Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
- Natchitoches Parish Tax Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Natchitoches Parish Birth and Baptism Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1837–1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Index to Natchitoches Parish Marriage Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Natchitoches Parish Marriage Records (Genealogy Trails)
- Natchitoches Parish Marriage Announcements (Genealogy Trails)
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1870 Mortality Index: Persons who died during the year ending June 1, 1870, in the Parish of Natchitoches, State of Louisiana. (Genealogy Trails)
- 1935-2014 - U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014, at Ancestry.com
- Natchitoches Parish Death Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Natchitoches Index to Parish Voter Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Societies and Libraries
Central Louisiana Genealogical Society
PO Box 12206
Alexandria, LA 71315-2206
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Natchitoches Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Natchitoches Parish, LAGenWeb Project, part of the USGenWeb Project
- Natchitoches Parish, USGenWeb Archives Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Natchitoches Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 264-278. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana p 291 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Natchitoches Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22069.html. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State