Nassau County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Nassau County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Nassau County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||December 29, 1824|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court
- 5.6 Immigration
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Local Histories
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Obituaries
- 5.13 Probate
- 5.14 Taxation
- 5.15 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Nassau County, Florida Record Dates
Nassau County Courthouse
PO Box 456
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, divorce, probate, court and land records from 1800’s. 
The county was named for the Duchy of Nassau in Germany. The county seat is Fernandina Beach and the county was created December 29, 1824. The County is located in the Northeast area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
|Historic African American communities|
The following web site may have additional information on Nassau County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
For tips on accessing Nassau County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census USGenWeb
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos USGenWeb
- Federal Census Information from National Archives USGenWeb
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives USGenWeb
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service USGenWeb
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
NARA Ships Passenger Lists
These passenger lists cover:
1834 - 1897 Immigration of Russians to the United States
1/12/1846 -12/31/1851 Irish Famine
1850 - 1897 Germans to the United States
1855 - 1900 Italians to the United States
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Nassau County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- 1821-1997 Maps of Florida
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps University of South Florida
- Nassau County Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Florida State Military Files USGenWeb
- Florida state pension records from various wars Pension Transcriptions USGenWeb
- Civil War Pension Index for Nassau County Amelia Island Genealogical Society
- Civil War Muster Records for Nassau County Amelia Island Genealogical Society
- 1861 - 1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861 - 1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1883 - Nassau County Pensioners on the Rolls as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1885 - 1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
World War I
- 1917 - 1918 - Nassau County Civilian Draft Registration, Surnames A-G (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1917 - 1918 - Nassau County Civilian Draft Registration, Surnames H-N (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1917 - 1918 - Nassau County Civilian Draft Registration, Surnames O-Z (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1917 - 1920 - Florida, World War I Navy Card Roster, 1917-1920 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II
- Nassau County World War II Army Enlistees, Names Adler - King (USGenWeb Archives)
- Nassau County World War II Army Enlistees, Names Knight - Youngblood (USGenWeb Archives)
- Nassau County World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel (Genealogy Trails)
- Nassau County Korean War Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict distantcousin.com
- Nassau County Vietnam War Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War distantcousin.com
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Nassau County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Early Florida Newspapers Florida State Library
- 1879 - 1949 Nassau County Obituaries Amelia Island Genealogical Society
- Florida Obituaries USGenWeb Obituaries Project
- U.S. Hidden Ancestors Obituaries
Probate records are held by the Nassau County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Nassau County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1784 – 1990 Florida Probate Records FamilySearch
- 1810 – 1974 Florida Wills and Probate Records Ancestry.com $
- 1870-1908 Index to Nassau County wills Amelia Island Genealogical Society
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1877 - 1939 - Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900 - 1921 - Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch — index
- 1877 - 1998 - Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1802 - 1998 - Florida, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1837 - 1974 - Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 - Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - FamilySearch Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001
Societies and Libraries
Amelia Island Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 6005
Fernandina Beach, Florida 32035-6005
E-mail General Inquiry: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you've ever wanted to sit down with an AIGS member and get some direction to help solve genealogy questions that have come up in your research, now's your chance. An AIGS member will be available the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month, unless otherwise noted, in the Genealogy section of the Fernandina Beach Library from 6 to 8 p.m.
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Nassau County FLGenWeb - free genealogical resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Amelia Island Genealogical Society
- Nassau County, Florida, USGenWeb Archives
- State of Florida
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Nassau County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Nassau County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Nassau County, Florida Genealogy Trails
- Nassau County FL Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Nassau County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Nassau County, Florida Page 136 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Nassau County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassau_County,_Florida 04/25/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Nassau County, Florida," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassau County, Florida,_Florida, accessed 5, Decamber 2018.