Napa County, California Genealogy
|Napa County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||February 18, 1850|
|Address|| Napa County Courthouse|
PO Box 298
Napa, Ca 94559-0298
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voting Registers
- 6 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Napa County, California Record Dates
County Clerk Recorder has birth and death records from 1873
marriage and land records from 1850 Court Executive Officer
has divorce and court records from 1850
The county seat Napa and the county was created February 18, 1850. The County is located in the northwest central area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- American Canyon
- St._Helena (Wikipedia)St. Helena
The following web sites may have additional information on Napa County cemeteries.
- Interment.net California cemetery records by County.
For tips on accessing Napa County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
Ward and Branch Records of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Napa County, California Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
- Index to Napa County History Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Index to Napa County Land Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1906-1935 - California, Pioneer Migration Index, Compiled 1906-1935 at FamilySearch — index
Military History and Records
- 1883 - Napa County – List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1886 - Index to Rosters, G.A.R. Posts in Napa County (USGenWeb Archives)
World War II
- Index to Napa County World War II Army Enlistees (USGenWeb Archives)
- World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel, Napa County, California (Genealogy Trails)
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Napa County library digitized newspapers 
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Napa County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- 1866-1992 - California Napa and Butte Counties Obituaries 1866-1992 at FamilySearch— index and images
- Index to Napa County Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Napa County Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Napa - Probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1782 – 1999 California Wills and Probate Records 1782-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1833 – 1991 California Probate Estate Files 1833-1991 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder. See also How to order California Vital Records
- 1812 - 1988 - California Births and Christenings, 1812-1988 at FamilySearch — index
- 1905 - 1995 - California Birth Index, 1905-1995 at FamilySearch — index
- 1800 - 2007 - California, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1850 - 1945 - California Marriages, 1850-1945 at FamilySearch — index
- 1850 - 1952 - California, County Marriages, 1850-1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1854 - 1885 - Western States Marriage Index.
- 1960 - 1985 - California Marriage Index, 1960-1985 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Napa County Marriage Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- 1905 - 1939 - California Death Index, 1905-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1940 - 1997 - California Death Index, 1940-1997 at FamilySearch — index
- Napa County, California Obituary and Death Notice Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com. Obits and death notices from Various Funeral Homes in the Napa, St. Helena, American Canyon, Calistoga, Yountville, Deer Park, Anguin, Rutherford and Spanish Flat areas.
- Deaths, Napa County, California, 1873-1905 : copied from records in the Napa County Recorder's Office by members of the Napa Valley Genealogical and Biographical Society at FamilySearch
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Napa County Historical Society
1219 First Street
Napa Valley Genealogical Society
1701 Menlo Avenue
- Napa County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Napa County CAGenWeb
- Tombstone Transcription Project
- USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Napa County, California Genealogy Trails
- Napa County CA Genealogy (ldsgenealogy.com)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Napa County, California. Page 84-88 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 81-83.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Napa County, California. Page 86 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Monterey County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_County,_California 05/04/2017.