Morrison County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Morrison County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Morrison County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota, United States Genealogy
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 25, 1856|
|County Seat||Little Falls|
|Address||Morrison County Courthouse|
213 1st Ave SE
Little Falls, MN 56345
Morrison County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Biography
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court
- 5.6 Emigration and Immigration
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Local Histories
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for fur trading brothers, William and Allan Morrison. The County is located in the central area of the state.
Morrison County, Minnesota Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
County Recorder has birth, marriage, death and some cemetery records,
land and military records; Court Administration has divorce, probate and court records
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
County seat: Little Falls 
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Biography[edit | edit source]
Morrison County Historical Society Morrison County Historical Society WPA Biographies. 1,130 biographies written 1936–1939. Index available online. Copies can be requested by calling the Morrison County Historical Society at 320-632-4007 or e–mail email@example.com.
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|MNGenWeb Archives||FamilySearch Places|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
Census[edit | edit source]
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Church[edit | edit source]
Most church records are held by individual churches. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information, see Minnesota Church Records.
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court[edit | edit source]
Emigration and Immigration[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Morrison – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Morrison County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
Civil War[edit | edit source]
Civil War service men from Morrison County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Morrison County.
World War II[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Minnesota, World War II Draft Registration Cards,1940-1947 at FamilySearch — index and images
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
- 1872-1962 - Minnesota Naturalization Records and Indexes, 1872-1962 at FamilySearch — index
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Morrison County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
The Morrison County Historical Society has a large collection of newspapers, both in original format and on microfilm. Online listing. Copies can be requested by calling the Morrison County Historical Society at 320-632-4007 or e–mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Research and copy fees will apply.
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Probate[edit | edit source]
Probate records may include wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information. Online Probate Records
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Since Minnesota tax records include only persons who owned taxable property, many residents were not included. Still they complement land records and can be used in place of missing censuses or the years between censuses. There may also be gaps. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota Department of Health, Office of Vital Records, or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Minnesota Vital Records.
Birth[edit | edit source]
- 1900-1934 Minnesota, Birth Index, 1900-1934 at MyHeritage($) — index
- 1900-1934 Minnesota Births, 1900-1934 at Minnesota Historical Society - free index, images ($)
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1850-2019 WEB: Minnesota, Marriages from the Minnesota Official Marriage System, 1850-2019 at Ancestry($) — index
- 1860 - 1949 Minnesota, County Marriages, 1860-1949 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1976-2003 Minnesota, Marriages, 1976-2003 at MyHeritage($) — index
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1850-2001 - Minnesota, County Deaths, 1850-2001 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1887-2001 - Minnesota Deaths, 1887-2001 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Online Minnesota Death Records & Indexes
- 1904-2001 Minnesota, Death Index, 1904-2001 at MyHeritage($) — index
- 1904-2001 Minnesota Deaths, 1904-2001 at Minnesota Historical Society - free index, images ($)
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Morrison County Historical Society
PO Box 239
2151 South Lindbergh Dr
Little Falls MN 56345
Military Historical Society of Minnesota
15000 Highway 115
Little Falls MN 56345-4173
Central Minnesota Historical Center
Centennial Hall, Room 148
St. Cloud University
St. Cloud, MN 56301
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Affiliate Libraries
Societies[edit | edit source]
Collection: Morrison County Historical Society
- WPA Biographies. 1,130 biographies written 1936–1939. Index available online.
- Local newspapers. Online listing.
Copies may be requested by contacting the Historical Society. Research and copy fees apply.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Morrison County, Minnesota" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrison_County,_Minnesota accessed 13 Nov 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Morrison County, Minnesota. Page 362-370 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 362-365.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Morrison County, Minnesota page 366, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Morrison County, Minnesota," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrison_County%2C_Minnesota, accessed 11 February 2020.