Mormon Pioneer Companies (1847-1868)
Looking for a Pioneer who came to Utah between 1847 and 1868? Search these sources:
Click on Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel (1847-1868) below.
- Go to the Web site http://history.lds.org/overlandtravels/?lang=eng
- Type in the first and/or last name of the pioneer.
- Scroll through the list of names and click on the name of the person.
- Write down or print the information on this person including the birth and death dates and ages, name of the company, and sources.
- Click on the name of the company to find when the company arrived in Salt Lake City and any other information.
The keyword search will be performed in only the record type you have selected in the drop down menu. (Companies, Pioneers, Sources, or ALL)
- Select "Pioneers" if you want to search for a varient spelling of a name that is listed in a pioneer note.
- Select "Sources" if you want to search all the source transcripts for a specific story.
- Select "Companies" if you wish to search for a specific company or if you want to search within the company summary.
Alphabetical Company List Generates a list of all the companies in the database, sorted alphabetically by the last name of the company captain. The list includes departure and arrival dates.
Chronological Company List
Generates a list of all the companies in the database, sorted chronologically by departure date.
If you need more information for ancestors who came to Salt Lake City, check the following books found in the US/Canada reference and book areas at the Family History Library. You may also wish to contact the Church History Library directly by using their "Ask Us" web form.
- Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah,by Frank Esshom. 2 vols.
FHL book 979.2 D3e 1966
- Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia,by Andrew Jenson. 4 vols.
FHL book 920.0792 J453L
- Handcarts to Zion, by Leroy and Ann Hafen.
FHL book 289.309 H119h
For Internet links to other LDS sources go to genealogy-links and click on the tab for LDS to Zion.
Need more information? Try these sources at the Family History Library: