Morgantown West Virginia Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
(The Morgantown West Virginia Family History Center is located in Morgantown, West Virginia, and serves the surrounding areas primarily, including Monongalia and Preston Counties in West Virginia. It is open to the public and is utilized by people from those counties as well as Garrett County in Maryland and southern Greene and Fayette Counties in Pennsylvania. We have three computers and internet access; microfilm and microfiche readers along with a limited library of films and fiche; a scanner/copier/printer; and a limited selection of local interest books, all of which can be used for family history research.)
Center Contacts and Hours
Location Map: Location Map
Address : 164 Meadow View Ln Morgantown WV 26508, United States
- Language: English
Phone: 1-304-594-0743 (This phone number is only answered when someone is in the building. Call 304-692-9661 if there is no answer at this number.)
- Monday: 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Wednesday: noon - 3:00 pm
- Call to see if we are open on Tuesday from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm or for appointment for other times. Tuesday evening open hours will normally be from April through December during 2019. (Evening open hours are held on Tuesdays on odd-numbered years and Wednesdays on even-numbered years.)
- We are open on Sundays during Sunday School and between unit meetings (10 am until noon, and 12:30 to 1:30 pm) for those in attendance at church only.
- Since we are staffed by a limited number of volunteers, occasionally we will not be open during normal hours so please call ahead if you have any doubts or are making a trip to visit the center to confirm that someone will be there to help you.
Closed all major holidays. We are closed on the Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving, and the two weeks including Christmas and New Year's. Call ahead to confirm if there is a question. We are also closed any day that Monongalia County or Preston County schools are closed or dismissed early due to inclement weather.
Calendar and Events
Classes may be scheduled on an individual or small group basis during operating hours, particularly on Sundays during Sunday School (for those in attendance at church only).
Staff Training Meetings
- We have a collection of Microfilm and Microfiche, and equipment on which to view them. We also have some books that provide some local family history information and resources.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- We have three new Windows 10 computers, all of which give access to the FHC Portal page as well as other internet resources. We also have a copier/scanner that can scan to your thumb drive, to a computer, and directly to your FamilySearch.org account, as well as being functional as a black/white copier. .
Staff Research Specialties
Our staff include individuals who are experienced with West Virginia family history research and the use of FamilySearch.org and Ancestry.org (as well as certain programs you might purchase for your use in your family history work); and we may be able to provide access to individuals who can assist with translations from languages other than English for those who might need help with translating a source.
Resources in the Local Area
The WVU Library has the West Virginia & Regional History Center, with resources that are particularly relevant to those doing research in West Virginia. https://wvrhc.lib.wvu.edu/
The Aull Center for Local History and Genealogy Research, is located at 351 Spruce Street, Morgantown WV 26505. The Aull Center is focused on the northern part of West Virginia and surrounding states, with access to world-wide research information (including HeritageQuest and Ancestry.com) plus many old photos and one-of-a-kind genealogies. The Aull Center is a part of the Morgantown Public Library, and is open from 9 am to 7 pm Monday-Wednesday; 9 am to 4 pm Thursday-Friday; and 9 am to 1 pm Saturday (closed Sundays).
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)