Morgantown West Virginia Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
(The Morgantown West Virginia Family History Center is located in Morgantown, West Virginia, and serves the surrounding areas primarily, including Monongalia and Preston Counties in West Virginia. It is open to the public and is utilized by people from those counties as well as Garrett County in Maryland and southern Greene and Fayette Counties in Pennsylvania. We have three computers and internet access; microfilm and microfiche readers along with a limited library of films and fiche; a scanner/copier/printer; and a limited selection of local interest books, all of which can be used for family history research.)
Center Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
Location Map: Location Map
Address : 164 Meadow View Ln Morgantown WV 26508, United States
- Language: English
Phone: 1-304-594-0743 (This phone number is only answered when someone is in the building. Call or text 304-692-9661 and leave a voice mail if there is no answer at the church number.)
E-mail: WV_Morgantown@familyhistorymail.org or firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred)
Open Hours: DUE TO THE PANDEMIC, OPEN HOURS ARE CURRENTLY SUSPENDED. YOU CAN STILL GET ASSISTANCE FROM A CONSULTANT BY EMAILING THE ABOVE ADDRESS. WE WILL PUT YOU IN TOUCH WITH SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP YOU BY EMAIL, OVER THE PHONE, OR USING THE "HELPER" FUNCTION IN FAMILYSEARCH.
- Mondays: 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Wednesdays: noon - 3:00 pm
- Call to see if we are open on Wednesdays from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm or for appointment for other times. Wednesday evening open hours will normally be from April through December during 2020.
- We are currently open on Sundays from 10:30 am until 11:30 am for those in attendance at church only. We will no longer be open during the Sunday School hour in accordance with Church guidelines.
- Since we are staffed by a limited number of volunteers, occasionally we will not be open during normal hours or our hours may be somewhat flexible so please call ahead if you have any doubts or are making a trip to visit the center to confirm that someone will be there to help you. We can also help remotely with FamilySearch.org questions by telephone and using the "helper" function.
Closed all major holidays. We are closed on the Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving, and the two weeks including Christmas and New Year's. Call ahead to confirm if there is a question. We may also be closed any day that Monongalia County or Preston County schools are closed, have a delay, or are dismissed early due to inclement weather, so please call ahead if weather is a concern.
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
Upcoming Events[edit | edit source]
Class Schedule[edit | edit source]
Classes may be scheduled on an individual or small group basis during operating hours, but no longer during the second hour on Sundays.
Staff Training Meetings[edit | edit source]
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
Databases and Software[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- We have three Windows 10 computers, all of which give access to the FHC Portal page as well as other internet resources. We also have a copier/scanner that can scan to your thumb drive, to a computer, and directly to your FamilySearch.org account, as well as being functional as a black/white copier.
- We also have microfilm and microfiche readers that patrons can use with their own materials but we are no longer are able to order microfilm (all previously ordered microfilms have been returned to the Salt Lake Family History Library) as so much material is now available online. We do still have microfiche but that also will be eliminated in the near future for the same reason.
Center Services[edit | edit source]
Staff Research Specialties[edit | edit source]
Our staff include individuals who are experienced with West Virginia family history research and the use of FamilySearch.org and Ancestry.org (as well as certain programs you might purchase for your use in your family history work); and we may be able to provide access to individuals who can assist with translations from languages other than English for those who might need help with translating a source.
Resources in the Local Area[edit | edit source]
The WVU Library has the West Virginia & Regional History Center, with resources that are particularly relevant to those doing research in West Virginia. https://wvrhc.lib.wvu.edu/ The Aull Center for Local History and Genealogy Research, is located at 351 Spruce Street, Morgantown WV 26505. The Aull Center is focused on the northern part of West Virginia and surrounding states, with access to world-wide research information (including HeritageQuest and Ancestry.com) plus many old photos and one-of-a-kind genealogies. The Aull Center is a part of the Morgantown Public Library, and is open from 9 am to 7 pm Monday-Wednesday; 9 am to 4 pm Thursday-Friday; and 9 am to 1 pm Saturday (closed Sundays).
Links[edit | edit source]
Volunteer at the Center[edit | edit source]
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)