Morgan County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Morgan County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Morgan County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||10 December, 1807|
|Address|| Morgan County Courthouse|
PO Box 168
Madison, GA 30650-0168
Morgan County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 2.1 History
- 2.2 Places/Localities
- 2.3 Genealogy Resources
- 2.3.1 Research Guides
- 2.3.2 African Americans
- 2.3.3 Bible Records
- 2.3.4 Cemeteries
- 2.3.5 Census
- 2.3.6 Church Records
- 2.3.7 Court
- 2.3.8 Genealogy
- 2.3.9 Land and Property
- 2.3.10 Local Histories
- 2.3.11 Maps
- 2.3.12 Military
- 2.3.13 Naturalization
- 2.3.14 Newspapers
- 2.3.15 Occupations
- 2.3.16 Probate Records
- 2.3.17 Taxation
- 2.3.18 Vital Records
- 2.4 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 2.5 Websites
- 2.6 References
Morgan County, Georgia Record Dates
Morgan County Courthouse
PO Box 168
Madison, GA 30650-0168
County Health Department has birth records; Probate Court has marriage, death, burial and probate records; Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court and land records from 1807
Clerk of Superior Court
384 Hancock St.
P.O. Drawer 551
Madison, GA 30650
Phone: (706) 342-3605
Fax: (706) 343-6462
Probate Court of Morgan County
P.O. Box 857
Madison, GA 30650
Phone: (706) 343-6500
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web site may have additional information on Morgan County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Georgia cemetery records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Bethlehem Baptist Church
- 1859-1885 - Bethlehem Baptist Church Baptism Index 1859-1885. Batch C713411 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1859-1895 - Bethlehem Baptist Church Marriage Index 1859-1895. Batch M713411 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Morgan County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Morgan County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Morgan County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 3rd Battalion, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company D
- - 3rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company D
- - 44th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company I
- - 66th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate)) , Company G
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Morgan County). 1957. Confederate Pension Roll 1920-1931 & Confederate roster: also roll and minutes of Confederate States Service Survivors Association of Morgan County, abt. 1879-1930. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. (United States, Georgia, Morgan -- Military records -- Civil War, 1861-1865.) Film 158946
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Morgan County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Morgan County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 - Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 - Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1808-1815 Wills, Book A, 1808-1815 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1808-1815 Wills, Book A, 1808-1815 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1815-1830 Wills, Book B, 1815-1830 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1808-1815 Index to Will Book A (1808-1815) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1815-1830 Index to Will Book B (1815-1830) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1831-1866 Index to Will Book C (1831-1866) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1858-1899 Index to Will Book D (1858-1899) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1804-1814 Index to Miscellaneous Estate Records 1804-1814 Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1699 - 1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1754 - 1960 - Georgia Church Marriages, 1754-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1785 - 1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1787 - 1962 - Georgia, Church Marriages, 1787-1962 at FamilySearch — index
- 1808 - 1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1824 - 1850 - Marriages 1824-1850 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1828 - 1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1808 - 1879 - Morgan County Marriage Index 1808-1879. Batch M713421 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1866 - 1891 - Morgan County Marriage Index 1866-1891. Batch M713423 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1879 - 1907 - Morgan County Marriage Index 1879-1907. Batch M713422 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1891 - 1895 - Morgan County Marriage Index 1891-1895. Batch M713424 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1939 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Monroe County Historical Society
East Johnston Street, PO Box 401,
Forsyth, GA 31029; (912) 994-5070
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Morgan County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Morgan County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Morgan County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Morgan County, Georgia. Page 159 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 45. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.