Montana Naturalization and Citizenship
|Montana Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- 1795-1925 - United States Passport Applications, 1795-1925 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1880-2009 - Montana, Cascade County Records, 1880-2009 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1865-2009 - Montana, Granite County Records, 1865-2009 at FamilySearch — index and imagess
- 1887-2012 - Montana, Judith Basin County Records, 1887-2012 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1910-2012 - Montana, Pondera County Records, 1910-2012 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1866-2010 - Montana, Sanders County Records, 1866-2010 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1881-2012 - Montana, Teton County Records, 1881-2012 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1913-1960 - Montana, Toole County Records, 1913-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992, Montana - ($) Index only
- Norske i Montana Naturalization - Index, incomplete for all counties
- Montana, County Naturalizations, 1856-1979 - Images only, incomplete for all counties
- Montana, County Naturalization Records, 1867-1970 - ($), Index and images
- Montana Naturalization Records, 1868-1999 - Images only.
- Montana, Federal Naturalization Records, 1880-1920 - Index and images, ($).
- Selected U.S. Naturalization Records - U.S. District Courts for the State of Montana, 1891-1929 - ($)
- United States Index to Naturalizations of World War I Soldiers, 1918 at FamilySearch — Index
County Naturalization Records by FamilySearch
- Montana, Cascade County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) - Images only
- Montana, Granite County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) - Images only
- Montana, Flathead County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) - Images only
- Montana, Meagher County Records, 1866-2012 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Montana, Rosebud County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) - Images only
Naturalization records have generally been filed in the county and district courts of Montana. You can write to the clerk of the court and request a search of indexes to certificates of arrival, petitions, declarations, and final naturalization papers.
The Family History Library has copies of some Montana naturalizations. The National Archives—Pacific Alaska Region (Seattle)has documents for:
- The four territorial district courts (1868-89). (Indexes on Family History Library film 1490886 items 1-8.)
- U.S. district courts in Butte (1894-1929), Great Falls (1924-26), Helena (1892-1929). (Family History Library films 1492066 items 1-4 and 1490886 items 11-27.)
- The U.S. Circuit Court (1891-98). (Family History Library films 1490886 items 9-10 and 1492068 items 1-20.)
In 1906 the Immigration and Naturalization Service (now United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) was created, forms were standardized and duplicate copies of naturalization records were sent to the INS. You can access these records through the Genealogy Program at www.uscis.gov.
- Montana Research Outline. Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, Inc., Family History Department, 1998, 2001. (NOTE: All of the information from the original research outline has been imported into this Wiki site and is being updated as time permits.)