Montana, Toole County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Montana, Toole County Records, 1913-1960
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Toole, Montana, United States|
|Flag of Montana|
|Location of Toole County, Montana|
|Location of Montana|
|Record Type||County Records|
|Toole County Courthouse, Shelby.|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection consists of probate, naturalization and marriage records from the county courthouse in Shelby, Montana, for the years 1913 to 1960. Some records include:
- Naturalization Index, 1914-1956
- Naturalization Card Index, 1913-1945
- Certificates and Petitions of Naturalization, 1914-1956
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Montana, Toole County Records, 1913-1960.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of the primary individual
- Event date
- Event place
- Parents' names including mother's maiden name
- Parents' age, birth place and residence
- Names of heirs, such as spouse, children, other relatives, or friends
- Name of the executor, administrator, or guardian
- Names of witnesses
- Dates the documents were written and recorded (used to approximate event dates since a will was usually written near the time of death)
- Description and value of personal property or land owned by the deceased
- Address or residence
|District Court||Case inverse index||1910-1938|
|Probate||Inventories, apprisements, sales||1914-1932|
|Probate||Letters of Administration||1914-1934|
|Probate||Will direct index||1910-1940|
|Vital||Marriage certificate index||1913-1960|
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Montana marriages click here.
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching the collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The age of your ancestor
- The names of relatives
- The type of event such as marriage or naturalization
- The approximate date of the event.
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select the Record Category
- Select the Record Type, Record Description, and Year Range to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Search for birth, marriage and death records
- Use the probate date as a substitute for the death date
- Use the parents' birth places to find former residences and to establish a migration pattern for the family
- Use the occupations to find employment or military records
- Search for the family in census records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Montana.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Montana, Toole County Records, 1913-1960." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 29 November 2018. Toole County Courthouse, Shelby.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.